Skip to main content

Homeownership is Grand!!

This posting will be a mix of sorts. First, my doctor's appointment. Everything went well. I passed the glucose screening, baby's heartbeat was 148 bpm and she is measuring "medium." I am officially into the third trimester, which means a doctor visit again in 3 weeks. All is well. I was adviced to eat more vegetables and meats to avoid birthing a "toddler." Such kind words of advice. I, myself, am looking forward to birthing a toddler. Perhaps I will then miss all the sleepness nights and move right into play. Sounds like a dream.
Now onto our drama. I am on spring break this week. Chris and I were talking on Sunday about what a nice, relaxing week I should have. Generally, I have a list a mile long to complete, but finally, we have reached a point in which that list no longer exists. However, I awoke Monday morning to the sound of the sump pumps in the basement, decided to run down and check it out, only to find my feet in 3 inches of cold water. I immediately raced upstairs to call Chris who came home as soon as he could. I began hauling up everything I could carry, probably exceeding the 20 lb. limit set forth by doctors, but my property was at stake. (I know, sounds like a kind, compassionate mother-to-be.) Chris and I moved everything upstairs and began cleaning out the water. A company came in to remove our carpet, which was an initial worry-$4000 on new carpet was much too painful of a thought. It turns out they will dry it in their warehouse, clean it will special chemicals and bring it back upon request-all for $1000. A true lifesaver! We had the fire department come by & a mason to help determine the cause or solution, but neither were offered. We have been in contact with a lawyer to see if we have cause to sue the previous owner for not disclosing previous water issues, and each seems to think we have a case. Chris and I need to evaluate the best next step for us. We are having a drainage system installed around the perimeter of the basement to help alleviate any future problems and putting the basement back together. Our plans to finish our attic have been adjusted. We are trying to see what we can have done for the amount of money that we have, then will finish the project next spring. It has been an extremely stressful week. We have seen several reports from the area and realize our situation is nothing compared to many, but it is tough. Just when we thought our demo days were over, they begin again. We are thankful that most of our personal belongings were rescued without damage and that I was home. We hate to imagine the amount of water that we could have come home to after a long day of work. Here are some pictures to capture the view of our basement in it's current state. Update: I haven't been able to upload pictures with Blogger, so I had to post them a different way. Anyway, the pictures are a separate posting. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweetness Overload

So, we are still roughing it in our amazingly, wonderfully fabulous, new house. That means, air mattresses in our living room. Fun. The girls love it, Chris and I not so much ;) Anyway, the close proximity means Chris and I get to eavesdrop on some very tender moments. They seriously bring tears to my eyes. How did we get so lucky to have them as our children??? Here's one example. Claire--"Mya, can we snuggle?" Mya--"sure." Claire--"don't let go." Mya--"No, I'll just wait until you are sleeping." Claire--"No, you wait until the middle of the night." Mya--"Okay, I'll wait until the middle of the night." Then we hear lips smacking. So cute. I won't share the meltdown that occured moments before this sweetness ;) Life isn't always rosey, now is it? Ha! In other news..we get internet today and our furniture/things tomorrow! That means 1 more night of "roughing it!" Yippee!

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really ...