Skip to main content

Port 2: Olympia, Greece

Excursions on the ships vary in price. They typically offer around 10 different options, but all include a bus. I am not a fan of travelling in a herd. I'd much rather pay a little more and do what I want, how I want, with whom I want. This is what a private tour offers. I booked through PK Travel  (PK Travel [pktravel_greece@hotmail.com]) in Athens--450 Euros for a 4-5 hour tour, 12 people, and a private mini bus. I had actually been communicating with them regarding our tour in Athens, when Potoula asked if I had a tour set up in Olympia. Totally awesome! He was wonderful. He took care of everything--tour bus, tour guide, etc. We just had to show up. Show up as in, walk off the ship. They picked us up right outside the ship. Who could ask for more? Naiobi was our English speaking guide.The Ancient Olympic site was approximately a 30 minute bus ride from our port.  During the drive, Naiobi introduced us to the area, pointing out Olive trees, and giving us an introduction to the Ancient Olympics. She was full of information and obviously passionate about Ancient Greek history and the Olympics. Naiobi emphasized the purpose of the Olympics being a time of peace and of religious importance.

Like many other countries in Europe, Germany included, Gypsies have made their way over the borders. We were greeted by small, unkempt children approaching the minibus, rubbing their tummies.  It was heartbreaking. They wanted money, food or whatever we could offer. Naiobi shared that the government offers financial support as well as education, etc., but most often Gypsies do not accept the Government handout. For a brief moment, it felt as though we were in a third world country. Women were washing their clothes in a bucket of water, laundry lined a bush, it was startling and very unexpected.



These poor babies were hungry.


Our tour guide.

Check this out--the clothing on the statues were made by these molds!! Crazy to think they had something as refined as molds way back then.

Not ancient, but pretty darn cute. Claire and Mya were tickled to find so many wild flowers along the way.

Taking a break after our trek through the museum. The pillars behind them were dug up from the grounds.


The girls were more into bugs and critters than the amazing history that layed before them.




Not the greatest picture, but this is the spot where they light the Olympic torch at the beginning of every Olympics. Pretty amazing!




Ready, set.....GO! Let the race begin!

Go, Claire, GO!!!


The two crazy people in the front are our friends, the McGuire's, who were stationed with us in Korea but moved to England. His wife is a teacher who worked with me. It was a mere coincidence that they were on our cruise.

Chris and Mya finishing their Olympic run at the ancient Stadium.

Isn't she precious??!

Being we are a house full of girls and a very conservative Father, the girls were mesmerized by the plentiful "man parts" or "privates" as Claire called them, in the museum.






Mya playing hide and seek by an ancient Greek pillar. A once in a lifetime experience ;)




Awww.

Beautiful girl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweetness Overload

So, we are still roughing it in our amazingly, wonderfully fabulous, new house. That means, air mattresses in our living room. Fun. The girls love it, Chris and I not so much ;) Anyway, the close proximity means Chris and I get to eavesdrop on some very tender moments. They seriously bring tears to my eyes. How did we get so lucky to have them as our children??? Here's one example. Claire--"Mya, can we snuggle?" Mya--"sure." Claire--"don't let go." Mya--"No, I'll just wait until you are sleeping." Claire--"No, you wait until the middle of the night." Mya--"Okay, I'll wait until the middle of the night." Then we hear lips smacking. So cute. I won't share the meltdown that occured moments before this sweetness ;) Life isn't always rosey, now is it? Ha! In other news..we get internet today and our furniture/things tomorrow! That means 1 more night of "roughing it!" Yippee!

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really ...

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???