Skip to main content

ha ha ha ha, ah choo, ah choo...

Birth classes have begun. Actually, we had our second of three classes last night. This is what we learned....
1. ) Contractions will get "stronger, last longer, and less time between". (Tired of hearing that.)
2.) Births are disgusting to watch, over and over again.
3.) Drugs are great.
4.) Survive birth by drugs and/or breathing, hence the ha ha ha ha, ah choo, ah choo!
5.) I am the queen of relaxation. Name the body part and I'll relax it for you.
We have a private certified teacher coming to our home for the classes ($180), which has it's advantages and disadvantages. We enjoy the idea of learning in the comforts of our home, but as one of my friends said, there is some satisfaction in looking like a beached whale, & puffing for dear life in numbers. I would have to agree. Chris and I laughed several times. I am sure she thought we are two immature idiots who should not be having a child. However, I am certainly not a huge supporter of the visualization technique or closing your eyes and having your husband rub you down with an on looker. We have survived. We also feel we have watched too many birth videos. Enough is enough. I can't imagine giving approval to be videoed, not to mention having that video distributed. Embarrassing. Anyway, five more videos to watch before our next and final class.
In other news, we had an appointment yesterday for an ultrasound, doctor visit and Strep B test. All went well.
1.) The ultrasound determined her weight to be around 5 lbs. 7 oz. at this point. Our doctor estimates her to weigh around 7 lbs. 8 oz. or so when she finally arrives. I can handle that. My fear of delivering a toddler has been subsided for now.
2.) "She" is still a "she." Chris had that confirmed for the fifth time. You'd think he'd come to terms with this fact already---HE'S HAVING A DAUGHTER!!
3.) I have gained more weight than I ever care to discuss. I will be the new spokesperson for WW and training in September.
4.) Her heartrate was 144 bpm.
5.) She is head down. Nice change from the breach position she was in a month or so ago.
6.) Her femur is shorter than the diameter of her head. What does this mean?? She will NOT be tall. Shock to us both! We were convinced with our genetics, that we were capable of having a six foot child. Ha. Instead, we will be lucky if she reaches 5 feet.
7.) The profile from the ultrasound seemed to give the idea that she has Chris' nose. I asked if it would be bad if I cried with sadness instead of tears of joy at her birth. Chris didn't especially like this comment. In fact, he said something to the effect that I will be struck by lightening. He also said something like, "she'll just grow into her nose." Encouraging words. Our doctor tried to convince us that the angle is hard to assess and it probably wasn't a perfect shot from the side, but that her head was tilted a bit. I am hanging on to this thought. Most people save for college, but we'll be saving for a rhinoplasty. All that said, my nose isn't lovely either. Either way, a rhinoplasty may be in order.

Comments

Lisa said…
Kara and Chris
Glad to hear we are definitely having a Claire and not a Clarence but enough already with the confirmations!! Wow, Claire is going to be bigger than I was! I was only 7-5. I liked Claire's curtains. Looking forward to seeing you soon!!
Olivia and Lisa
Anonymous said…
Hey You Two,
I am so excited for you. I wish I could be there to see my niece being born. Sounds like you are all set for the little munchkin to arrive. Congradulations. Hope to talk with you soon. Love you, Kelly & Bekah

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought