Skip to main content

Happy 2nd Birthday, Mya!






Mya, you are two years old. I can't quite wrap my head around that one. You are a two year old in so many ways, but I still see you as my sweet little, whiny baby that loved to snuggle close.

Speak in three word (sometimes more) sentences.
Use sign language to communicate at times--Daddy wasn't quite sure what you were doing, but thankfully, my limited repertoire enabled me to decipher!
You love to read books. Your favorites right now are "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom," "One moose, Twenty Mice," "Winnie the Pooh and the Honeypot," "Pinkalicious," and "No, David!" You are so funny as you get excited about each as if it were the first time you heard the story. When we read "No David!," you always do the actions or say something appropriate on each page--such as "bum bum" or "p.u." It is so sweet.
You have been sleeping in your big girl bed (double bed) for a few months now. Daddy and I lay on our bed waiting for you and Claire to go to sleep. You rarely lay quietly. Typically, you constantly say "Hi Daddy, Hi Mommy"  and sometimes "Hi Daddy Momma." That seems to be your clever way of getting us both at one shot.
Mya, you have always been "the outgoing one." The one who is afraid of nobody and will go to anyone. You would greet everyone you saw and showed no fear when it came to climbing objects, falling down or trying something new. That has changed a bit. You've recently begun to stay a bit closer when approached by others, warmed a bit more slowly to strangers and shown a fear with animals especially. You were not impressed with the Aquarium in Guam. Big dogs are not on your list of potential friends and you aren't fond of taxidermied animals (can't say I am either ;). Although I appreciate the new reservation you've shown to strangers (Your Daddy and I would marvel at how you'd reach to those who reached for you or approach strangers to say a friendly "hi." Needless to say, you were never far from our reach :), I do hope that you step outside your comfort zone. Some of the greatest experiences in life come from doing just that. Stepping away from the known and into that scary, new place. Look at our life in Korea, had we stayed in Massachusetts, we'd have missed out on this wonderful adventure, would have never met these great friends we're surrounded by and traveled to the wonderful places we have and will travel. It was a scary move, but I am so, so, so happy that we took the leap.
You have a wonderful Korean teacher, Ms. Minan. She is so kind and tickled that you can say her name correctly. No other child is able. She giggles each time it comes from  your mouth. Ms. Minan speaks alot of Korean to you. I often wonder how much you've come to understand. Your Daddy and I laugh each time you come across a Korean person who speaks to you. You stop and listen while they speak and frequently bow, showing respect and nod your head as if you understand. It is hilarious. You've even bowed to us a few times. You are certainly a product of this environment. Thankfully, Korean culture is one focused on children and love for the family. We've been fortunate as all people love on you as well as Claire.
Speaking of school, you also have a teacher, Ms. Mindy who loves on you constantly. She also babysits from time to time, so you have a special love for her too. Ms. Mindy does your hair daily. She is able to do what you do not allow your Momma. However, you now try to do your Momma's hair, grabbing it, twisting it and brushing it from side to side. It is pretty cute too.
I haven't worried about "teaching" you per say. You are following in your sister's tracks and seem to be keeping up with what she did at your age, so I am not concerned. You can count to 10--missing a number or 2 at times, you know the sounds a few letters make (thanks to Leapfrog Fridge Phonics), and you know all your body parts, including "chin, elbow, cheek, tongue, knee."  I've done a few fine motor tasks with tracing, putting small objects in different containers, matching colors and objects, and basic coloring. You hold the pencil/crayon correctly (tripod grip). Language is not a concern. You know countless words, point to all objects on command and use 3 word sentences. You ask questions and make statements as you should. You love, love, love to sing songs. You know so many of them that even I am surprised when you start singing sometimes. Obviously they sing and do little hand/finger plays at school with you. Some of those that I can recall quickly are: ABC's, Itsy, Bitsy Spider; Row Your Boat; Happy Birthday (which you love to sing to each of us daily, putting in our names as appropriate); Where is Thumbkin; and Oh Suzanna. It is funny, I was so concerned about putting you in a CDC. Initially, I thought it was such a bad fit for you, but it has turned out to be such a blessing. You've learned far more than I could have ever hoped and you've been blessed with loving teachers who truly love you like their own.
We took away your paci three weeks ago and I fear the paci has been replaced with whining. At times you have been challenging to say the least! We've begun using a sticker system, primarily for Claire's sake, but you love the thrill of earning a sticker. Hopefully that will be our link to successful potty training as that is next on the docket.
You are an absolute joy. We love the faces and expressions you use to amuse us. No one can spark an attitude better than you. You have a great little sense of humor and are always trying to upstage your sister, whether it be chiming in with something that you know, whispering sweet nothings in our ears, or climbing in our laps before she is able. You love to be in the middle. We love you to be there as well. You add such spice to our lives. We love you, "Mya mooshki" or as Claire has taken to calling you, "Mya papaya." Happy, happy birthday!

Comments

Jessica said…
Cheers to you Mya! Happy Birthday! We love you so very much! We wish we could celebrate this special day with you! This summer we will celebrate!

Love you! J
Anonymous said…
WE are due for an update!!! Just letting you know some of your New Years Resolutions are in the hurt bag!

Please and thank you!

Love ya,
J
Kara said…
I tried to give you a personal update, J, but you didn't answer your phone! Don't even give me the excuse that you were working ;)

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought