Skip to main content

Parenting Struggles

Claire is really pushing our buttons right now. She can be such a sweet thing, but it seems those moments are fewer than the ones where she is not listening, bugging/manipulating her sister or being sassy. I am struggling. We try so hard to teach about respect. She is a saint at school--never has been removed from "green," yet at home she can be a monster. Ugh. I feel like I am disciplining or yelling at her, which I really hate, so much of our time together.

She is at a tough stage where she is old enough to do some things for herself and on her own, but still wants the help like when she was 3. For example, our mornings are busy. Chris takes care of breakfast, I pack lunches and we both try to make sure everyone is ready to roll. Both children can dress themselves--clothes are already laid out for them and school bags are packed, so basically, their only responsibility is to get dressed and sit down for breakfast. Claire insists on someone helping her get dressed. It is such a struggle.

Everything can turn into a power struggle or battle of wills. She got in the car this morning and left her backpack in the house. I went back to get it. Why? Simply because if I didn't, and she went to school without it (as I really wanted to do), I would have my whole day ruined by listening to her screaming like an insane person. Truly insane.

Last night it was whining. Right after school we planted our little garden together with my Mom's help. Claire was so excited to do it that she didn't take an afterschool snack. By the time she said something, it was 5:00--almost dinner time. Being the minimal eater that she is, I couldn't give her a snack then, knowing she wouldn't eat her dinner. Instead, I listened to whine after whine and beg after beg for something to eat. I finally couldn't take it anymore and I finally distracted her with the "silent game" where I wished for a child with a language delay. What is wrong with me???!! I am wishing for my very verbose and articulate children to have a disability just so I can have some silence? I am a sick freak!

I am at a loss. We praise, ignore, redirect, put her in time out, which can be effective, we take away items from her (ipad, tv, toys, outside time) and we spank as a last resort. Sadly that is the only form that she actually acknowledges as a consequence. I've read the books and obviously have a fairly vast knowledge base of behavior modification through my education. It isn't that she is naughty. She simply tends to be disrespectful (only to those she knows well--namely us) and manipulative. She wants to be "big," yet wants to be "little" at times too. Chris & I struggle tolerating and juggling that balance and knowing when each is okay.

She really is a good kid and has a heart of gold. She is simply smart and manipulative as well, which can reinforce the bad. I know I will be able to deal with the behavior this summer when I can consistently engage & discipline. Right now we pick our battles. We have too many places to be, and things that need to get done to address every little issue. This all probably feels much more intense to me than it actually is. It is heartbreaking watching your pretty much perfect kiddo (and no I don't share that with her) act/behave anyway less than you know she is capable.

This too shall pass. Breathe in, breathe out....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???