Skip to main content

8 years

Dearest Claire,
Our first born is eight years old. You have become such a sweet little lady. Daddy and I are so so proud of who you are and what you've become in these short eight years. You are such a talented girl. You conquer pretty much anything you attempt. You love gymnastics, spending the summer mastering cartwheels, round offs, bridges, and handsprings. You live and breath life flying through the air. It is amazing to see your passion build and watch your determination.
We went to Grammy and Papa's again this summer where she taught you several songs on the piano. Each and everyday, several times per day, we listened to these songs. I was able to enroll you in piano lessons, so you can begin a new challenge. You will continue to take violin lessons as well. You are definitely an artsy girl as well as an analytical thinker. You love to draw, create, rearrange and envision. We are doing our best to foster your passions without causing stress by loading your schedule.
Swimming lessons were completed this summer. You've passed all the levels! You were so nervous as you had to tread water for 5 minutes. We approached it as we do with most things for you--giving you specific strategies to succeed and helping you build up the time to make it manageable. You are now able to swim all strokes and do them well! I couldn't be more proud! We've suggested trying out for swim team, but you are a perfectionist. If you can't win, you don't want to attempt. Perhaps with time, this will seem more interesting.
You are a great helper. You love to cook, so you want to help as much as you can. You are able to make eggs, french toast independently. You can bake muffins or follow directions on a box for nearly anything. Needless to say, we love the extra set of hands! You are a great big sister to Gavin. He adores you just the same. You play pretty well with Mya, but she is old enough to not really rely on you too much.
You've taken an interest in choosing your clothes, trying to get a grasp on your own sense of fashion. You love to do your own hair too. I guess it is becoming clearer each day that you are growing up. You no longer need us as you once did. This is bittersweet. I love your hugs and cuddles. Thankfully, you still think we are pretty cool, though I bet that too will soon change.
If only time could stand still. I'd hit rewind time and time again, just to rewatch the past 8 years. You've experienced more in your eight years than most people enjoy in a lifetime. You are loved by people all over the world. Not many can say that. Your green eyes and blonde hair and beautiful face have given us a connection to many. Knowing what an intelligent, kind-hearted and goofy kid lies beneath is what those lucky enough to know you discover. I am so incredibly proud of you, Claire. You are an amazing kid. Love isn't a strong enough word to describe how I feel about you. You really are my everything. You are the best of both your Daddy and I. Although I would love time to slow, I cannot wait to see what lies ahead for you. I pray you find happiness and see beauty in each day, let go of fear and conquer whatever you desire, understand kindness and selflessness are far more important than beauty, and keep God and family centered in your heart. Work hard and you will achieve anything you desire. Happy birthday baby girl. We love you!!
xoxoxo,
Mama

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought

Is this a hint?!!

A few years ago one of Chris' friends was telling us that he got his girlfriend a wiifit for Christmas. I couldn't help but laugh and told him that I'd be so insulted. Supposedly she wanted it, so for her it was the perfect gift. He got her other things as well that were much more meaningful--cooking school and a massage or something. Anyway, fast forward to this Christmas. I had a list of items that I wanted, but ended up buying most of them for myself prior to Christmas. I am definitely not one to wait until Christmas or birthdays to buy things--for me or anyone else. Needless to say, Chris was kind of left hanging. I wanted a $1300 lense for my camera, but as you can imagine, that wasn't an option. Hmmm. This is what I received. Very generous, but do you think my wonderful husband is subtle? Ha.   Out of fear of making Chris seem like a total jerk, I should add some necessary details--only because I am nice. I had been talking about losing weight, working