Skip to main content

Rejkavik, Iceland

We spent another amazing Thanksgiving experiencing a new country. Iceland. It was cold, but beautiful. Our trip was a perfect mix of relaxation, family time and tours. We had scheduled a cruise to see the Northern Lights on Thanksgiving Day, hours after we arrived, but sadly, it was cancelled due to snow and wind. We wandered around the hotel a bit, found a delicious hamburger joint and filled our tummies. Afterwards, we checked into the hotel took a much needed nap and gathered our thoughts as to where to dine for dinner. We decided to keep the evening low key and ate in the restaurant inside the Fosshotel, Rejkavik where we were staying. We had a delicious meal--duck, fish, and soup. It was yummy. Definitely the most elegant meal our children have enjoyed! They were critiquing the plating and food as if they were judges on their favorite show--Masterchef Junior. It was cute.
Friday was a day where we hit the ground running! We left around 10 to the Blue Lagoon or paradise as we liked to think of it. The water was crystal blue and so clear. It was perfect! We enjoyed a healthy shake while we swam around the hot spring. People frequently looked at our small children--I think more because who can afford to travel to Scandinavia with children than anything. None the less, they were perfect and oh so happy. Gavin was in heaven swimming around the warm pool. He giggled with delight. Getting out into the 7* Celsius air probably was the low point of the day. We caught our bus back to the hotel then set out again to shop. The area we stayed was the business center, so I wasn't sure how much opportunity there would be to shop. Boy was I surprised. There was a quaint little street lined with shops. Just what I love! It was snowing lightly with Christmas lights lit up all around us. It definitely put us in the mood for the season! We made our way back to the hotel in time for another try to see the Northern Lights. Sadly, three hours later we had made our way around the coastline with no success. We enjoyed a cozy bus ride and the kids all enjoyed a nap, but we were all disappointed!
Our final day in Rejkavik was spent on a small group bus tour of the Golden Circle. It was lovely seeing amazing waterfalls, geysers, beautiful sunrise and sunset, followed up with another dip in a secret lagoon. This lagoon wasn't quite up to the standards of the Blue Lagoon, but was warm and much needed after a long day of sightseeing.
The cost of travel and stay in Iceland wasn't cheap but it wasn't incredibly expensive either. We spent an average of 40 Euro per meal. The tours were easy to book--all on viator.com. We paid a bit more for small group vs. a huge bus but it was SOOO worth it. The tours picked us up from our hotel each day and brought us back too. It made sightseeing very convenient and stressfree. Everyone spoke fluent English and were very kind. We thought it interesting that they put cream cheese on their pizzas, they can bake bread in bowls or cook eggs beneath the ground of the hot springs, childcare is very reasonable--something like 200 Euro per month, and there is paid maternity/paternity leave for an entire year. Iceland was beautiful.
Our children were PERFECT on this trip. Gavin napped alot, just chilling in his seat or in my arms. The girls were engaged with the scenery and captivated by the amazing sites! It was such a great time. A memory I know we will all hold dear to our hearts. We have so much for which to be Thankful. Our family is pretty spectacular!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought