Skip to main content

catching up...

i've been mia for awhile. i realize that. with a not so gentle nudge from my mom and loving sister, i am back. it has been a rough couple of weeks. things have slowed down to some extent and with that has brought some rough moments. i have been incredibly homesick. not homesick in the sense of missing the states, but homesick in the sense of missing friends and family. i do miss the new england fall, don't get me wrong, but my lack of friend and family connections here have really gotten to me lately. back to the new england fall thing for a minute. i receive emails about the foliage and subscribe to a blog feed about new england travel. talk about kicking someone in the stomach when they are already down! how i'd love to go on our traditional apple picking or pumpkin picking adventures or on our leaf peeping expeditions. ahhhhh. i miss it all. new england falls were my favorite! they do have apple orchards here, but most of them were destroyed when the typhoon struck earlier this fall. i am on a mission to buy our pumpkins today. gotta make sure we don't miss out on our halloween fun, although from what i can gather, halloween is not celebrated here. there are a number of fall festivals and our neighborhood has many americans, so i think our kiddos will have plenty of activity. claire's costume arrived this week and my mom mailed mya's yesterday. we should be all set for our traditional costume show and tell!! yippee! fast forward to my family and friend issues..i used to talk to nearly each of my sisters and my mom every day when i lived in the states. that was a lot of life, but with an hour commute each way, it was perfect. since moving here, i talk to them once or twice a week if i am really lucky. it is hard. really hard. i miss them so much. it makes for some really boring and super lonely evenings. we email daily, but it isn't the same. anyway, i was able to facebook chat with my bestie, michelle this week. that brightened my day. i am not a down and out type person, so this is awful. each day is a bit better so perhaps the funk is passing. thank goodness.

-we joined chris' work crew for a korean feast last night. i was hesitant to bring the girls, but we couldn't find a babysitter. they came along. thankfully, they were fantastic. we sat at the table with his korean colleagues. they are so kind, and i was so worried our girls' lack of appetites or narrow minded perspective on food would offend them. no sir re. claire ate like she's never seen food before. the girl  loves meat. she can eat steak like there's no tomorrow. she is definitely my daughter. anyway, we enjoyed pork bulgogi. it was so yummy. claire even wrapped a piece in a lettuce leaf and ate it. amazing. all in all it was a fun night. mya wasn't feeling so great, but she ate white rice like i eat cookies!

-claire is loving "school." she comes everyday with new little comments. her latest is that so and so is her "best friend." occasionally this is a boy, which chris especially loves. i picked them up the other day and as we were walking by the playground where her friends were playing, jacob came over to the fence and yelled, 'good bye claire.' i said good bye to him, which apparently opened him right up. he continued by telling me that he and claire were going to the movies together. ha! a date at 3 years old. how sweet is that!

-i ran 13 minutes continuously without hurling! pretty amazing if i do say so myself.

-today we are heading out to the air show. the pilots have been practicing for the last few days, so life has been noisy to say the least. mya is so sweet. everytime she sees a plane, she waves and says 'good bye.'

Comments

Anonymous said…
I miss you too! I am very fortunate that you now have an American line, however, I do not know the time difference!! haha. I hope you make it home for Xmas! Holiday off for me! :) Love you.
Lauren
Anonymous said…
Kara,

This change has been difficult for us all. We understand your need to go but it sucks royally. I miss our daily chats about nothing. I like to know what is happening every single day and now I feel as though I am missing everything. I just keep reminding myself that this is not forever. You will come back and our lives will return to normal. We love you a lot...Keep calling and posting!!

Love ya,
J

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???