Skip to main content

Taking note...

A few things I don't want to forget...
Claire is learning Korean. Her dear teacher, Ms. Kim is passing along her wisdom daily and is totally taken with Claire's desire. Anyway, one night Claire and I were talking in Korean (at least as much as either of us know) and Claire stops and says, "Momma, you know why I can say that?" Me--"why?" Claire--"Because I'm a little Korean." Such a funny girl, thinking she is a little bit Korean the blondie that she is!

She has really begun to notice differences in Koreans/Americans, etc. She still calls African American people, "brown" girl or "brown" boy. Given her awareness, she doesn't speak badly or say anything beyond their identifying characteristic. She occasionally says some scripted comment that she has obviously gotten from me or Chris, "it doesn't matter if we are Korean or American, we are good people." Yes baby, we are.

On that same note, Ms. Kim is going to babysit the girls one day after school when my Mom is here. Anyway, she told me yesterday that Claire told her she'd like her to take her and Mya out for bulgogi when she babysits. What??!! Sure, our kids can devour some bulgogi like no other, but it isn't a regular staple in our diet like chicken tenders or something like that? I told Ms. Kim that I was very surprised and Ms. Kim's response was to the effect that Claire knows she is Korean and that Koreans love their bulgogi. So glad Ms Kim has the right attitude about it all. We are so blessed to have her in our lives.

We were busy decorating for Christmas last weekend in anticipation of my Mom's impending arrival this week! Yippee!! We CANNOT wait! Anyway, Mya was putting some of the little tiny ornaments on my little tiny tree. She came across a Santa Claus wearing a traditional Santa suit. Anyway, she turns to me and says "piah, Momma?" translations: Fire, Momma? Our dear little girlie thought Santa was a fireman! How precious is that?! So darn cute.

Mya also says several things that are simply adorable. Her new favorite words are "cute"--everything is "so cute" or "cute." She has also taken to humor, so now she holds her hand up to her mouth and says, "punny!" Can I just say how much that warms my heart. I think it is the most adorable thing EVER!

She toots and she says, "I pooted!" So funny. I also hear her saying "Okay, Mommy?" frequently. Mya is a sensitive little one. She is the first to run over when you yelp in pain, she is the first to offer a back rub or a blanket when we lay down. She is also feisty beyond belief. This girl goes full bore in all she does. Nothing is graceful, but she is a rough and tumble type of kid. That being said, she is still all about babies. So cute.

The other day she was prancing around in her little undies, when she approached me carrying some extra baggage in front. I made a comment and Mya replied, "it a potet" (it's a pocket). Yep, her undies served a dual purpose that day. Yuck!

Mya is not enjoying the colder temperatures. She uses the excuse of needing to use the toilet to escape the cold. It is serving her well so far as her teacher brings her inside where she then continues her manipulative ways to convince Ms. Michong to play inside. Ha! She is one smart cookie!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought