Skip to main content

Boundaries

Yesterday morning was a tough one at our house. Things started out great, but quickly went downhill. Very quickly. Chris is working mids (6 pm to 6 am) this week, which means it is all me in the morning. I've got it all figured out down to a science. I know precisely how much time I need to get ready, how much time I need to make breakfast (yes, the kids actually request breakfast before they go to school where they eat another breakfast, so I make eggs/cereal/waffles, etc.), and precisely what time we need to get out the door to ensure I get to work at a reasonable time. It is a science and I've mastered it. Or thought I had--until yesterday came upon us.
One area I struggle with in being a Mom is holding strong to the boundaries I set. Let's face it, when I say my child needs to bring a jacket, but she chooses to bring a sweatshirt, does it really matter? No. I pick these battles everyday and struggle on the psychological end of things. I've read the parenting books where children need control, so give them choices. I do. We do. HOWEVER, I most certainly do not want our children to grow up being "snotty" little kids who control everything. I've seen that time and time again. Kids who are treated as babies until they are in school, then when rules are imposed and that control is taken away while at school, they struggle. Children need boundaries. Here's the deal. Claire and Mya were playing in the living room with some toys. I asked them to go to the kitchen so I could do their hair. Claire doesn't move, but Mya leaps up and runs to the spot. Claire takes the clue and gets mad because she isn't first. I calmly explain that Mya is first, yada yada yada. Fine. Mya gets it done, then Claire pouts. Fine. Natural consequence--crazy hair. She whines a bit more, asks me to do her hair, and I do. Next comes shoes, then jacket. Same deal. Has a holy fit. Won't leave the house. Finally does leave the house only to run in the backyard crying like some possessed crazy child. We get to the car, buckle her in and listen to an earful. I then give her the ultimatum. If she doesn't get herself together, she won't be going to ballet. Fun activities are meant for children who listen, show respect, and do what they are asked.  She clearly has struggled with that and continues to struggle all the way to school. (I prefer to give consequences that are immediate, but I really didn't have much choice as I needed to get to work. There was no time for "time out.") A short while passes with more crying, then I tell her because of the choices she has made, she will not be going to ballet after school and we will not be picking up food from the restaurant. I speak no more to her in the car, but poor Mya watches. We arrive at school. Claire is finally calm and apologizes. We make our amends and move on with the morning routine. Poor girl. She looks like she has had a humdinger of a day.
Flash forward several hours...I pick her up from school later and she immediately asks about ballet. I tell her she is not going to ballet and holds it together until we get in the car. She proceeds to ask me "why," repeatedly. The crying starts again. I say nothing. Thankfully, it all ends when we get home. She expresses her apology for showing disrespect and being rude.
I think she got it. There are consequences to our behaviors. Special things come when we show respect, listen and do what is expected. Oiy. I just wish I weren't so exhausted! Parenting is a tough gig. I do know the effort will pay off in the end. We are very blessed to have such well behaved, wonderful girls. They are; however, typical kids. Here's to hoping tomorrow is a better day and consistent boundaries exist.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh the joys of parenting! I have a few years til that fun begins! She is such a sweetheart! Hopefully she learned her lesson and you all can move forward. Until another battle breaks out at least!

Love ya,
J
April said…
Good job sticking to the punnishment, some consequences are harder for parents to dole out than others :/ Looks like she took the lesson to heart.

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Claire, Mya and the NEWS

Chris and I had this elaborate plan on how we were going to share the news with our girls. I ordered adorable shirts, which took forever to get here. They were supposed to ship Oct. 4, but didn't. I am not a patient soul at all. I love to share good news and spread the excitement. We went to a German doctor last week for a gender reveal ultrasound. He was 99% certain of his selection. Claire and I began looking at clothes online. She asked questions about why we were looking at baby clothing, but thankfully, my sister has a little guy and a baby girl who is due in December. They are my perfect excuses for all things baby! Claire asked nothing more and began pointing out things we should buy Jackson or the new baby girl. Our weekends typically involve partaking in a local event or just relaxing, which means a trip to the KMCC Mall. Saturday we went shopping or at least looking. Once again, the girls became excited, choosing items for Jackson or the new baby girl. I decided I cou