Skip to main content

Brussels, Belgium

We ventured away on an overnight trip to Brussels a few weeks ago with our travel buddies, Erika, Aaron and Asa. Brussels is about a 2.5 hour drive from our house. Most people do not go to Belgium to visit Brussels, but we decided to see what the city had to offer. We stayed at the Sheraton in the heart of the city, hopped on the Hop On/Hop Off bus to catch the highlights, stopped at the Atomium ("iconic building in Brussels originally constructed for Expo '58, the 1958 Brussels World's Fair") where we waited an hour or so to ride the elevator to the top sphere to take in the panoramic view of the city. The atomium was renovated in 2000 something, but really doesn't have anything to offer those of us who have seen a light show or two. It was very much a disappointment. We also enjoyed Belgium fries. I'd call them French fries, but I suppose that isn't quite right. Anyway, Belgium is known for their fries and waffles, both which were delicious! From that area, we walked through Mini Europe, which was cute. The kids enjoyed pushing the buttons that played music representative of the country or moved boats through the water. We also saw the Grand Place, purchased my watercolor paintings as I do in every city/country, and found the "Manneken Pis" or the statue of the boy peeing. It was surprisingly small for being a highlight of the city. Our little adventure was complete with a side trip stop to the Tongeren Flea Market. I didn't find anything other than a pink cake plate, but it was fun looking through all the treasures.







The Waffle Van


Mini Europe




"The Grand Place"


Small, small statue of a boy peeing. Not sure if he is always dressed or if this is new. Anyway, "Maneken Pis"




The Atomium. Each ball had a different exhibit inside it. Some balls you walked up into, some had an escalator.

Belgium Welcome


This was a heat censored light display. The heat from their bodies was conveyed via colors on the wall. Interestingly, my flash made the colors disappear?

Riding down the escalator at the Atomium.

Yummy Fries!

Claire scraped her head the day before we left. Poor thing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweetness Overload

So, we are still roughing it in our amazingly, wonderfully fabulous, new house. That means, air mattresses in our living room. Fun. The girls love it, Chris and I not so much ;) Anyway, the close proximity means Chris and I get to eavesdrop on some very tender moments. They seriously bring tears to my eyes. How did we get so lucky to have them as our children??? Here's one example. Claire--"Mya, can we snuggle?" Mya--"sure." Claire--"don't let go." Mya--"No, I'll just wait until you are sleeping." Claire--"No, you wait until the middle of the night." Mya--"Okay, I'll wait until the middle of the night." Then we hear lips smacking. So cute. I won't share the meltdown that occured moments before this sweetness ;) Life isn't always rosey, now is it? Ha! In other news..we get internet today and our furniture/things tomorrow! That means 1 more night of "roughing it!" Yippee!

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really ...