Skip to main content

2014 Goals

My word for 2014 is "intention." So much of life is spent on "autopilot," simply going through the motions of routines and activities. It is my focus to act with intention. To move with  purpose, to focus on maximizing my happiness, to do with meaning.

1. Organization--I am happier and more sane when my life is organized. My focus is a meal plan, maintaining a weekly calendar of chores/homework schedule, etc. Chris and I have revised our budget to reflect our family financial goals. This ties in directly with financial organization and spending with intention or purpose.

2. Health--Once our little guy is born, health will become my obsession. Clean eating and working out. Lots of sweat, sweat, sweat. This is our last little one that I will carry, so no more excuses to carry this extra weight. I am focusing on pre-baby Kara, which will involve losing about 40 pounds.

3. Family time--Working full time and being a mom and wife is a juggling act. I am vowing to not use my computer between the hours of 4 and 7:00. Instead, I'll work out, play games with my kiddos, make dinner, and be present.

4. Reading--I used to be a reader. I read book after book, especially during the summertime. Since I've become a Mom, that desire has slid dramatically. 2014 will be the year I reconnect with my first love. I am setting my goal in reference to time spent reading vs. the number of books read. I hope to read 1 hour per day. Through my reading, I hope to deepen my spiritual awareness. 14 of Beth Moore's kindle books are FREE right now on Amazon, so I've downloaded many of them. I also am planning on reading through the New Testament. I've never been a huge Bible reader. I prefer mini studies or a study on a specific book of the Bible, but this is the year. Through this platform, I am also going to pray with more intention. My Grandma & Grandpa were the most spiritual people I knew. They were always reading Bible verses, prayers, and leading a Godly life. They volunteered in their church and simply showed us what it meant to be a Christian. They never preached to my sisters and I or really even spoke of what we needed to do, but again, showed by example. They were honest, generous, loving and unselfish. They'd give whatever they had to whomever was in need and expected nothing in return. They worked hard for all that they had and never expressed any self pity. They appreciated all that they had and loved unconditionally. Watching them live life was the most powerful sermon I've ever heard. They are what I strive to be--someone who does not beat others with their beliefs, preach to those who may not follow him, or take instead of give. Instead, quietly and confidently follow the word of the Lord-praying fervently, giving generously, trusting always,  loving unconditionally and showing constant appreciation for all.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Great goals! !! So happy that you are getting clOser to meeting your little guy! Rest nOw. That it's my advice. Avery is excited to have a friend/ cousin her age.

Miss you guys!
Love ya, J

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought