Skip to main content

what could have been...

We are in such a good place in our lives right now. Chris and I both have rewarding jobs that we enjoy. I'd say love, but I'm not sure if he "loves" his or not. :) We just marked our anniversary of our first date on February 12th, which was 17 years ago! I feel we are closer today than we've ever been. Chris and I chatted about the crossfit/support issue and he finally saw the light. Needless to say, this week has been much better. I feel supported and loved. Our kids are healthy, active, smart and dare I say, happy. All that said, I find it fascinating that we cannot help but feel sad or unsatisfied, held back by the what could have been's.
Chris made the decision to retire from the Air Force. It was a tough decision. One filled with pros and cons. The pros obviously being stability for our family and more time together. The cons being what is bringing us to this bittersweet place. It is this month that we would have found out, along with our other friends, our next duty assignment. Most of our friends are headed to a job at the Pentagon. It is most likely, we would have as well. Although, the Pentagon position is not a life we desired as it means countless hours, sometimes nights, spent at work. It means a long commute. It means a father who is not deployed, but basically is deployed. This month would have also marked Chris' promotion to major. This is the one that makes him most sad. He is hearing the news of his friends who share his year group. While happy for them, he can't help but think what could have been. 
Again, we made the choice to retire together. We love our life. Most would give anything to see the world and experience the things we have. Most would love to have our work schedules, salaries, etc. We've worked hard to get where we are. We've had struggles. We've had roadblocks. We push through. We are finally in a solid, comfortable place, yet we reflect on what could have been. Life is funny like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweetness Overload

So, we are still roughing it in our amazingly, wonderfully fabulous, new house. That means, air mattresses in our living room. Fun. The girls love it, Chris and I not so much ;) Anyway, the close proximity means Chris and I get to eavesdrop on some very tender moments. They seriously bring tears to my eyes. How did we get so lucky to have them as our children??? Here's one example. Claire--"Mya, can we snuggle?" Mya--"sure." Claire--"don't let go." Mya--"No, I'll just wait until you are sleeping." Claire--"No, you wait until the middle of the night." Mya--"Okay, I'll wait until the middle of the night." Then we hear lips smacking. So cute. I won't share the meltdown that occured moments before this sweetness ;) Life isn't always rosey, now is it? Ha! In other news..we get internet today and our furniture/things tomorrow! That means 1 more night of "roughing it!" Yippee!

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really ...

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???