Skip to main content

Pushing through.

Chris and I started this crossfit journey 2 months ago. In that time, I missed about 5 classes or so. While I've seen so many positive changes and surprised myself many times--like going from not being able to do any butterfly situps to doing 30 or not being able to jump rope at all to jumping 100 times in one minute or hurling 80 pounds over my head? Yeah, I've progressed. Yet, my disappointment and frustration in what I am still unable overwhelms me. Takes hold of my focus. Pushes me to feel trapped. See the thing is that the pieces of crossfit that I really love above all other types of programs is the competition aspect. I like a challenge. I always have. I like to win. I like to beat people and I love to surprise them with my mightiness. Last night was tough for me. I am not a good loser. It isn't pretty. In fact, I am a pretty pathetic loser. Our WOD was the following--5 rounds of 15 calorie row, 15 pull ups (with bands), 15 dragon crawls, 15 sit ups and 15 wall balls. Everything was easy except the friggin pull ups. I used to be that girl in elementary school and even high school that surprised everyone with her strength. I could do pull ups. I was pretty much the only girl in my grade who could! It was awesome. My how times have changed. This same movement has caused me frustration, anger and disappointment. Every single person passed me by a round. I sucked. Standing on that box, trying to muster the strength to do one more. "Just do them in groups of 5," Jimmy, our coach, said. Ha. I couldn't even do 2 at a time. It took me forever. Tears trickled down my cheeks. I just hate that I am so weak. I want nothing more than to conquer this beast then shove it down everyone's throats. It ticks me off. I managed two rounds of 15, then 7 on each of the next three rounds. That was it. That was all I had. I was pissed. I don't like anyone cheering me on, especially when I am suffering; however, there is a huge difference between cheering on old school style where everyone crowds around the person and chants and the version where you walk up to someone who was struggling and say "you got this" or "keep pushing." Not one person could manage to support me. It's funny. I am typically the one who offers encouragement to each person. I don't beat them over the head with it, but I walk by and say something supportive or I stop and help Chris put his foot in the fricken strap when he is already a round ahead. Yeah, me. But again, not one person--not even my husband attempted to help me up when I was down. Frustrating. We talked about this last night at home--just briefly. Chris actually didn't do much talking. In fact, he didn't even say a word until I made a comment pointing out his lack of response or acknowledgement.

It's funny. Chris and I have been together for almost 18 years. That's a heck of a long time. I like to think that I know him, know what bugs him, know what he needs, know what makes him tick. There are many times, I feel like he has no clue about me nor does he really want to know. Don't get me wrong. I love him. I think he tries to make me happy. I think he looks at superficial things--helping with kids, buying me things or cleaning. However, I don't think he attempts any romance or emotional connections. That is what I find most frustrating. I guess I am old school. The romance comes from the guy. He is old, old school thinking that woman need to dote on their man. I should have seen that coming when he first started resting his head on my shoulder. I hate that. I don't think it is appropriate. What woman doesn't want to feel secure? What woman doesn't want to feel nurtured? What woman doesn't want to be treated like a princess? I hope my girls choose their men very carefully. Material things are great, but hopefully that won't be the focus of love. I pray they find someone who will continue to open car doors, tell them their beautiful, surprise them with flowers, plan impromptu dates, hug them, kiss them, and treat them like the amazing gift they are. I miss so much of that. I know it is a two sided street. I know I am just as much to blame, but it doesn't make the emptiness any less. Without these pieces, I can't help but think ahead to when our children are grown and out of our house. What will Chris and I do? What will we have to talk about? Will we simply be roommates? That is my fear. The fear is real. It is justified.

I am a strong person. I will push through whatever crap this is. I will conquer the friggin pull up. I will find happiness. I will rediscover myself and navigate the path that was intended for me. I just hope I do it with the support of my husband.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???