Skip to main content

6 years!

Dearest Mya.
You are officially 6 years old! I was sitting here remembering so clearly the day you were born. How Grammy came to stay with Claire so Daddy and I could be with you at the hospital. Your delivery was so easy. I was in. You were born. I was out. From that moment, everyone thought you looked like me and that hasn't changed. You are definitely my mini me. I love it. You are a spunky kid. One that we needed. You have a beautiful spirit, a heart of gold, a determination. You aren't afraid to try anything, but you know what you like.  We've exposed you to several organized activities. At first you are thrilled, but by the 4th practice, you've had your fill of them. Daddy and I have pushed back a bit, not letting you quit. You commit. You finish. Right now, we are counting the days until gymnastics wraps up so we can stop hearing the complaining ;) You've tried soccer, basketball, ballet/tap, sing/shake club, & gymnastics. Nothing seems to stick. Of course you don't HAVE to have a sport/activity. We just want you to be happy. I found an art camp for 2 days and you loved that. We'll continue to try new things and let you follow your heart.

You are a people person. You've never met a stranger. Daddy and I love it, but hate this quality at the same time. You wave to everyone you know, remember seeing at some point or have never seen before. You are definitely a social girl. Claire depends on you to pave the way in the moments where she can be hesitant to take the leap. You are never afraid. Brave girl. Keep being adventurous.

Mya, you continue to teach Daddy and I more than we can ever teach you. Just when we think we have the parenting thing figured out, you throw us for a loop. We are learning that each child is very different and it is important to guide them accordingly. For you, we are working on boundaries. Giving you guidelines, expectations and then letting you be you. It is working. You are such an emotional/sensitive soul. You perceive guidance as anger. Please don't ever doubt how much your Daddy and I love you. You are our life. We love you more than anything on this Earth. We have such big dreams for you.

You are such a wonderful big sister. Gavin smiles the moment he sees you or hears your voice. You provide great entertainment, doing silly things just to make him laugh. You are a great helper, wanting nothing less than to feed him and dote on his every need.

Kindergarten is wrapping up. It has been a transitional year. You've had to learn to adapt to a different kind of schedule than what you were used to at Montessori Preschool. It has been a year of ups and downs. Daddy and I let go of our academic expectations, knowing that you will progress when you are ready. You began kindergarten knowing your letters, the sounds they made, numbers, basic adding and I'd say you've ended kindergarten a more fluent reader. You are certainly ready for first grade. Letting go of control has been the best parenting technique we've tried with you. When we do this, you are a much happier and compliant child. We have faith that HE will guide each of us as we need.

Mya you are such a spicy girl. I smile just thinking of all the funny, clever things you say and do. You make us laugh on a daily basis. I love how when you play with the German girls across the street, you think any made up sound/word is most certainly German and that they should understand you. So funny.

No matter how much you challenge us, no matter how much you push us, we know that you are challenging us to be better. Better people, better parents. That is a gift. You are a gift, Mya. A beautiful, strong, funny, intelligent, and confident gift. The world is such a better place with you in it. More importantly, our family is blessed to have you in it. We love you, Mya. You will never know how much we do, but know that everything we say, every opportunity we provide, everything we do together is just a small sample of how much we care. You are an amazing daughter. We love you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought