Skip to main content

if this is a vacation, take me back to stress...

UGH. i am on vacation this week, technically spring break. so far, 2 days in, it has been far from a vacation. you see, on friday i received word that my one and only living grandmother was in the hospital. she supposedly had pneumonia, but there were spots on her lungs that needed further testing. 2 days later and she has been diagnosed with lung cancer--2 masses, one in each lung. this, on a lady who has never smoked a day in her life. the masses need fluid, so the medication they are giving her to clear up the pneumonia are not effective. she is having great difficulty breathing and things don't look good. not good at all. life just sucks sometimes. i was very fortunate as a child to spend alot of time with all of my grandparents. this particular one lived on our family farm, so i saw her quite often in the summer. she never complained, is/was generally never sick and always put others first. my grandma is/was a great grandma. she pushed us on the swings, took us out to see/feed the animals, gave us treat money nearly each visit, always had our favorite cookies/desserts in the freezer for when we visited, played whatever games/activities we had in mind. awww, the great memories. now as i think of her not being in my life, such sadness comes over me. yet, i feel selfish. she obviously isn't well. although the cancer had gone undetected until now, i can't help but realize what a blessing it is. i think it would have torn her up to know her fate and always wonder how long or when. i do not know a more religious person. she and my grandpa truly have been the greatest role models as far as faith and prayer go. that is definitely a gift that i will always cherish. there is no question if she will enter those pearly gates to be reunited with my grandpa. for that, i am grateful. however, how much grief, pain and suffering must one family endure? we said good-bye to my grandma arlene in oct. 2007, my grandpa elwood in june 2008 and now we are waiting for a miracle or my grandma dorothy's pain and suffering to subside. awful. good-byes are awful. long good-byes are even worse.
my grandma has consumed many of my thoughts and prayers this weekend, but additionally, i have been suffering through my annual spring cleaning. i washed all the windows inside and out downstairs, washed the cupboards in the kitchen and will move upstairs to tackle those windows later this week. chris and i are going to clean our rugs too. fun times ahead for this vacation. i have also been trying to prepare some meals to freeze for when i have the babe. so far, i have 2 pans in the freezer. we'll see how many more i complete this week. on a happy note, we have our 35 week ultrasound tomorrow. very excited. chris will get his final assurance that we are in fact having a girl--final until the birth, obviously. we are both looking forward to seeing this kiddo.
thus far this vacation has been a bit stressful. hopefully things calm down and we can find some relaxation.

Comments

Erin&Joshua said…
I am so sorry to hear about your grannie! Prayers going out to her and your entire family with hugs specifically to you :)
Kirsten said…
So sorry to hear about this Kara. My thought and prayers are with you all.
Anonymous said…
Oh Kara, My heart goes out to you and your family. My love and prayers are with you.
Anonymous said…
The previous comment was from me, Aunt Karen
Anonymous said…
Hi-- Sorry about Gma Dorothy. I remember going to the farm with you when we were kids, it was always fun. Prayers are with you.....Try to have a good week off. It sounds like your nesting, maybe baby will be here sooner than you think???
Take care,
Nicole

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Claire, Mya and the NEWS

Chris and I had this elaborate plan on how we were going to share the news with our girls. I ordered adorable shirts, which took forever to get here. They were supposed to ship Oct. 4, but didn't. I am not a patient soul at all. I love to share good news and spread the excitement. We went to a German doctor last week for a gender reveal ultrasound. He was 99% certain of his selection. Claire and I began looking at clothes online. She asked questions about why we were looking at baby clothing, but thankfully, my sister has a little guy and a baby girl who is due in December. They are my perfect excuses for all things baby! Claire asked nothing more and began pointing out things we should buy Jackson or the new baby girl. Our weekends typically involve partaking in a local event or just relaxing, which means a trip to the KMCC Mall. Saturday we went shopping or at least looking. Once again, the girls became excited, choosing items for Jackson or the new baby girl. I decided I cou