Skip to main content

worry...cause that is what i do

update 4/28: After much thought and deliberation, I decided to waive my consult with the perinatologist. I understand this whole thing is truly in God's hands and there isn't anything anyone can tell me that will change the outcome at this point. what will be, will be. We will simply trust in God's plan for our family and hope that this kiddo has a long, happy, healthy life.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
update 4/21: I called the doctor this morning to gather more information. I spoke with the nurse who confirmed my measurements were just above average. She said based on my risk assessment, negative First Screen results and previous ultrasound results, the chances of having a baby with Down's Syndrome around 1 in 6000. She also indicated that the primary reason for concern with enlarged ventricles is due to the baby having Hydrocephalus. Not much better than Down's Syndrome in my book as I have worked with a number of these children as well. I won't get into the issues involved here either and just hope that we won't ever have to go there. We were referred to a perinatologist who will give us further information on our specific case. I am not sure I feel this is necessary given the fact that there is nothing we can do until the baby is born anyway. Until then, I will keep praying that I am just being the excessive worrier that I am and nothing more than becoming overly informed on possibilities that won't impact our family. Boy it is quite a load to bear. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I am sure you are all right in that there is nothing to worry about, but again, when possibilities/risks are raised with your child, you can't help but worry :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------chris, claire and i went for our 35 week ultrasound today. it was confirmed, once again, we will be blessed with a little girl. chris is feeling my dad's pain or so he thinks. ha. we've got a couple more girls to go before that truly happens. anyway, nearly everything looked good, but her ventricles in her brain are a bit enlarged. dr. b. indicated that this is not uncommon later in pregnancy and the measurement of 11 mm is just above average (1-10mm). however, she was going to check with the radiologist and get their recommendation for another ultrasound or to wait and check out the kiddo upon birth. i got the call later this afternoon that they'd like me to have another ultrasound before my next appointment in two weeks. although dr. b. tried to assure us there was nothing to worry about at this point, i can't help but do so. i am a worrier by nature. i think it is a middle child quality. anyway, upon doing some research, it appears that enlarged ventricles are a sign/symptom of chromosomal abnormalities such as down syndrome. previous ultrasounds and the ATP test have been normal, so we are hoping this is simply a case of a miscalculation. obviously, we will love this baby unconditionally, but i fear i know too much about quality of life and the difficult road for children with disabilities. i guess this story will unfold in the weeks ahead.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow this week has been stressful..I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers!

lOVE YA,
Jessica
Erin&Joshua said…
Im sure it was just an error. Not that my statement eases your worry but the blood tests are much better indicators than others and if they are negative then go with that :)

Hugs and Kisses to all of you.
Anonymous said…
Been thinkin about you guys a lot! All will be fine..no worries..if you need anything just let me know! CANT WAIT for this BABY!

Love ya,
Jessica
Anonymous said…
Hi -- Everything will be ok, try not to worry because that's almost worse for you than anything - you don't want to raise your blood pressure. I'll be thinking about you - keep us posted!
Nicole
Erin&Joshua said…
thanks for the update :) you were in my thoughts today quite a bit as I was worried that you were worrying and perhaps all this worry would be bad for both you and the baby.

Im glad that you have gotten more information (sometimes too much is more dangerous though). Please keep us updated with what you learn. Wishing and praying for you :)
mom/jeannie said…
Wow, I will certainly put your worries in my prayers.
Chris I now understand your reaction to our conversation sunday. I wish I would have known, I would have chosen better words. I wish you the best.

Kara sorry to hear about your grandmother. You are right she is in a better place. love you guys

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Claire, Mya and the NEWS

Chris and I had this elaborate plan on how we were going to share the news with our girls. I ordered adorable shirts, which took forever to get here. They were supposed to ship Oct. 4, but didn't. I am not a patient soul at all. I love to share good news and spread the excitement. We went to a German doctor last week for a gender reveal ultrasound. He was 99% certain of his selection. Claire and I began looking at clothes online. She asked questions about why we were looking at baby clothing, but thankfully, my sister has a little guy and a baby girl who is due in December. They are my perfect excuses for all things baby! Claire asked nothing more and began pointing out things we should buy Jackson or the new baby girl. Our weekends typically involve partaking in a local event or just relaxing, which means a trip to the KMCC Mall. Saturday we went shopping or at least looking. Once again, the girls became excited, choosing items for Jackson or the new baby girl. I decided I cou