Skip to main content

It's beginning to look a lot like.....Christmas??? Already.






Christmas is huge. It is tied to many, many fabulous traditions and memories from my childhood. I love, love, love Christmas. Everything about it has me smitten for the occasion--sparkly lights, glitter, blown glass ornaments, Christmas carolers, Snow Villages, the angel collection, snow, cold weather to curl up under a blanket, candlelight service, Christmas carols. All of it. I. love. Christmas. We've lived here four years and the ornaments and beautiful Snow Villages that Chris and I have eagerly purchased in anticipation of our future Christmas' together have sat in their boxes, untouched. Let's face it. We have a crazy life. Crazy busy, crazy chaotic. We travel to spend Christmas with my family every year. It is our one holiday with them. I get so excited at just the thought of seeing my parent's BEEEAAUUTIFULLLL tree--entirely full of blown glass ornaments or Hallmark treasures with a TON of lights. It is gorgeous. The rest of the house is beautiful too, in all it's Christmas glory, but the tree is awesome. The part I love the most about the tree are the memories tied to each ornament. ANYWAY, back to my point. With our travel schedule, it hardly seemed worth it to put up the decor for two weeks of enjoyment. However, children change everything. Chris and I have worked hard to develop our traditions and memories as we have purchased our own Christmas decorations (many bought by me before there was an "us," but with the same dream). I looked forward to the day when I could pull out "Our First Christmas" ornament or "Baby's First Christmas" or our first Snow Village we bought when we were anticipating our life as a newly married couple. Sadly, these memories in boxes have stayed tucked away until now. I decided this was the year that we would get the full enjoyment from our tree. We'd have to start early, so this weekend was it. We pulled out the boxes upon boxes of decor, ordered Chinese food (our favorite) and Chris turned on some Christmas music. It was quite a production.Claire was in heaven. She did so well, handling every ornament (not many kid friendly ornaments as each one costs a pretty penny, but she was oh so gentle), occasionally bringing an especially sparkly one over to show Mya. She sweetly said, "See Mya? Christmas." It was perfect. It is done. The tree is up, our Snow Village collection is displayed (we actually forgot we had so many as we've never seen them displayed) and the stockings are hung with the garland. I couldn't be happier. The house is so beautiful and our Christmas tradition has been born. Oh yes, one more thing to remember...personally thank my Mom who kindly bought us not one but two of those singing Hallmark toys. Claire is a huge fan and is quickly learning  exactly what the Santa is saying--"Remember the spirit of Christmas lasts all year long!!" Perhaps an appropriate thank you is bringing one of those toys with us to their house. Hmmmm....

Comments

Anonymous said…
where are the pictures?

Our lights are hung up outside...Nate just about died on the roof so I thought that was enough fun for one day!


j
Anonymous said…
where are the pictures?

Our lights are hung up outside...Nate just about died on the roof so I thought that was enough fun for one day!


j
April said…
What about pictures, Kara? The suspense is killing me :p
Kara said…
i know. pics r coming. chris is gone again, so free time is oh so limited.
Anonymous said…
Your house looks great.....we ran into your mom at Target over the weekend and she said you were decorating. Abby thought we should get home so we could put up our tree too......maybe this weekend.
Hugs....Nicole
Erin said…
We started decorating as well once we were 100% sure there would be no thanksgiving festivities here. I'm hoping that the rain will stop soon so we can possibly find a tree this weekend! I love decorating because each room gets a good thorough CLEANING before decorations go up! Nice clean home for the holidays :) Your house looks GREAT!

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Claire, Mya and the NEWS

Chris and I had this elaborate plan on how we were going to share the news with our girls. I ordered adorable shirts, which took forever to get here. They were supposed to ship Oct. 4, but didn't. I am not a patient soul at all. I love to share good news and spread the excitement. We went to a German doctor last week for a gender reveal ultrasound. He was 99% certain of his selection. Claire and I began looking at clothes online. She asked questions about why we were looking at baby clothing, but thankfully, my sister has a little guy and a baby girl who is due in December. They are my perfect excuses for all things baby! Claire asked nothing more and began pointing out things we should buy Jackson or the new baby girl. Our weekends typically involve partaking in a local event or just relaxing, which means a trip to the KMCC Mall. Saturday we went shopping or at least looking. Once again, the girls became excited, choosing items for Jackson or the new baby girl. I decided I cou