Skip to main content

Little Life Lesson #1 Graciously Accepting Gifts

I thought I'd start something new on this blog of mine. I've explained over and over the purpose of my blog or at least one purpose. However, there is a much bigger purpose than just to give friends and family near and far a sneak peek of our daily happenings. That purpose is to document for my children the love and wishes I have for them. I suppose a diary of sorts, but instead of disclosing my deep dark thoughts, I'd present my children with little life lessons. Things that help make the world go round. Things that are a bit too big for them to "get" now, but maybe years down the road, they can look back and know that I was truly trying to be a parent. So here it goes...Little Life Lesson #1--Graciously Accepting Gifts (Just in time for Christmas!!)
When people give us gifts . . . in any way shape or size . . . we are to accept them with gratitude. Not always because we necessarily love what they're giving us, but because they thought enough of us to give us something. It's not about how much they spent. It's not even about how much thought they put into it or the attitude with which they've given it. If someone gives you something, it's reason for gratitude. So, we thank them for it. We comment on how useful it might be, or how it's our favorite color, or how it will come in handy. Non insincere comments . . . honest thoughts of appreciation about the gift. There's always something positive that can be said about a gift.

Over Christmas, you'll be getting quite a few gifts. And at times, they'll come rapidfire . . . one right after another. Too often, we look at our gifts, say "thanks" and move on to the next. This Christmas I'll be there to encourage you to take your time and show sincere appreciation. And yes, I know....you are only 2 and 7 months--how much appreciation can you show?? I got it, but this is a work in progress.

Comments

Alison said…
What a great idea to do life lessons for your little ones....I may steal your idea for my blog :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Sweetness Overload

So, we are still roughing it in our amazingly, wonderfully fabulous, new house. That means, air mattresses in our living room. Fun. The girls love it, Chris and I not so much ;) Anyway, the close proximity means Chris and I get to eavesdrop on some very tender moments. They seriously bring tears to my eyes. How did we get so lucky to have them as our children??? Here's one example. Claire--"Mya, can we snuggle?" Mya--"sure." Claire--"don't let go." Mya--"No, I'll just wait until you are sleeping." Claire--"No, you wait until the middle of the night." Mya--"Okay, I'll wait until the middle of the night." Then we hear lips smacking. So cute. I won't share the meltdown that occured moments before this sweetness ;) Life isn't always rosey, now is it? Ha! In other news..we get internet today and our furniture/things tomorrow! That means 1 more night of "roughing it!" Yippee!

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really ...