Skip to main content

One Week Down.

Tomorrow marks the conclusion of my first week as a single parent. It has been pretty easy. In fact, the most difficult part or actually ONLY difficult part has been listening to Chris's immature fun and that just occured today--more on that later. Claire has been a dream. She is listening, following directions, helping me with Mya, being independent at times and just being perfect. We have our nightly routines and pushed through our first weekend. We visited a local farm/petting zoo, shopped a bit, went on daily walks and stopped at a playground today. It was fun. The kiddos are eating well, taking naps without battles, really, I couldn't ask for better. HOWEVER, it is exhausting. I've done the single parent thing for a couple weeks at a time in the past and several times for a few days or a week long stint, but there is nothing like feeling like the end is nowhere in sight. There is truly no relief. It is amazing how much that little reminder changes my mindset. Despite the perfection and smooth transition our kids have made, I can't help but feel completely resentful to hear Chris getting drunk on soju. Drunk or not, the fact that he was able to sit back, have some drinks and not worry about having to wake up during the night to tend to our kids or worry that his day would begin at 6:00 the following day, is frustrating to me. I suppose these feelings are very selfish and inappropriate. I, on one hand, want him to experience Korea for all its worth, but on the other hand, want him to keep in the forefront of his mind the sacrifice and responsibility that I have to have 24 hours per day 7 days per week. I know he is aware, but I can't help but wonder if he truly "got it" then he would make choices and decisions accordingly. This is hard. I knew it would be, but it is really hard--not single parenting but temporary single parenting. There is a HUGE difference. I'll get over it, I suppose. I guess I have to. I have two beautiful little girls who are depending on ME to be happy, excited and totally in love with them. They are awesome.

Comments

Alison said…
OH Kara, reading your post makes me want to move in with you to help you out :-( For your sanity's sake, don't count the weeks - there are too many. If you want to go out drinking I will watch your girls ANYTIME!!
Erin said…
Well, I have one even better! If you and Alison want to go out drinking you are both more than welcome to call me up and I will watch all your babes while you ladies go out :)
Kara said…
who wants to go out drinking? not me. I just can't believe Chris would either! You girls are too funny ;)
April said…
Skip the drinking, hit the spa! I'm glad the girls are being sweet to you! How about some retail therapy? Surely your lobes want some big, sparkly rocks on them?!
Kara said…
i was thinking my finger would look great with a super sparkly rock, but sadly that would be my money. kind of cheesy buying myself a new diamond ring. however, a year is a long time. i may feel differently by next march. watch out 'jerods.'
Erin said…
ooh......sparkles! If you want cheap ones I am sure that Claires or icing in the mall has some great ones :)
Kara said…
funny girl, Erin. unfortunately claire's or icing have the quality or size i will be wearing on my finger--if you know what i mean.
mom, me`me` said…
Hi Kara, I am so happy to hear that Little Mya is walking, I knew she would wait for Chris to leave. I have a hard time getting the videos to work but I will keep at it.
Oh honey I am sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with Chris away. I have to agree with Alison, you need to look at one day at a time. Looking at the whole year makes it seem like for ever.
I know that you and the girls are always 1st in Chris' mind. I am sure you know that also.
I do not condone his drinking (especially getting drunk), but I know "vice is its own punishment".
Take the advice of your friends and go do something nice for yourself.
Call a sister or parent and let them spoil you for awhile.
It is difficult to be a single parent, but I think I would rather be a single parent with my children, than a single husband without my family. I know this is very frustrating for you and you need to vent all you can to get through this. At the same time remember that you are Chris' life and the strength, and he is yours. you guys will get through this year together, and be stronger for it.

love you
always sending prayers for your little family
Erin said…
oh, I know too well what you mean but have you been in there lately?? Their rings are HUGE!!!! Big enough to make it seem like you get a carat for each day he's done.....quality ehh..plastic might not be your thing, its certainly isn't mine :)

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Claire, Mya and the NEWS

Chris and I had this elaborate plan on how we were going to share the news with our girls. I ordered adorable shirts, which took forever to get here. They were supposed to ship Oct. 4, but didn't. I am not a patient soul at all. I love to share good news and spread the excitement. We went to a German doctor last week for a gender reveal ultrasound. He was 99% certain of his selection. Claire and I began looking at clothes online. She asked questions about why we were looking at baby clothing, but thankfully, my sister has a little guy and a baby girl who is due in December. They are my perfect excuses for all things baby! Claire asked nothing more and began pointing out things we should buy Jackson or the new baby girl. Our weekends typically involve partaking in a local event or just relaxing, which means a trip to the KMCC Mall. Saturday we went shopping or at least looking. Once again, the girls became excited, choosing items for Jackson or the new baby girl. I decided I cou