Skip to main content

Jeju Island

We took on another Korean adventure this weekend. We spent the weekend on Jeju Island which is a small island off South Korea's southernmost tip. Our trip began and ended with challenges, but we survived. The morning we were to leave, we quickly packed, walked 1/2 mile to the taxi only to catch a ride to the bus station and boarded the bus. During our little bus ride, I hesitantly asked Chris if we needed passports. After a brief discussion, we decided since it was a domestic flight they wouldn't be needed. So not true. Note to self: Korea requires identification for all passengers from birth on. Lesson learned. We arrived in Jeju an hour or so later. Beautiful. We were greeted with an eclectic mix of feelings--at times of Montana, at times a tropical island,  at times, the Cape. It was strange how one place could remind us of so many. It was lovely. Roses lined the streets, phlox greeted the curbs, and greenery was plentiful. Rocks were pounded by the rushing waves of the ocean. Ahhhh. We stayed at the Lotte Hotel. It, too, was lovely. A Vegas style resort complete with boats on the premises, a volcano show, and A+ service.  They had a floor of their hotel completely devoted to Hello Kitty. Needless to say, our girls were in heaven. We took them to the children's play area daily.

We stopped at Cheonjeyeon Water Falls. Beautiful. I love waterfalls. I love hearing the rush of water and the haphazard rush of water spilling over the rocks. The hike was easy, and the steps were a gentle reminder to get back on the exercise train. No pain, no gain! ha. Claire walked the whole way. She did so well. Mya was carried most of it. As we ended the trek, a local Korean lady was selling pineapple on a stick. Claire and Mya devoured them, then asked for more. Yummo! Korean fruit is sooo delicious.

We later ventured to the crater--Seongsan Ilchul Bong (Sunrise Peak). This is a tuff cone formed when an underwater volcano erupted in the middle of the ocean. It is truly the single most representative picture of S. Korea. It is shown everywhere. This was a HUGE hike. Unlike in the States where hiking consists of winding around, back and forth, gradually ascending the mountain, Koreans have the concept of efficiency in mind (at least I'd like to believe that's their thinking). It was basically straight up the side. Claire hiked a good portion, Mya rode on Chris' back in the pack and we took turns lugging Claire up when she wanted to walk no more. It was tough, but the view was gorgeous. Sadly, we learned later that we missed "the women divers." Apparently, these are local women who dive in the ocean without equipment and catch seafood. They bring the seafood to shore and the Korean people gather for the feast right there on the beach. It would have been so interesting to see. However, we  had a very different kind of feast after our climb. Dunkin Donuts!! Yummy. It even tasted like actual Dunkin Donuts from the States :)


Budget rent a car bus. We looked for a kiosk INSIDE the terminal, but soon discovered we were to go find  a BUS! Only in Korea!


Lotte Hotel had a Kids World set up with a ball launcher, PS3, Wii, climbing apparatus, computers, books, legos, etc. It was so much fun for Claire and Mya.



4th floor of Lotte Hotel was the Hello Kitty floor. The rooms and hallways were all decorated with Hello Kitty. Pretty cute.
 


This statue represents Jeju Island all over Korea.


The girls and I overlooking the beach below.


Chris and the girls overlooking the beach.



Claire at the waterfall.


Mya at the waterfall. A Korean family was there at the same time. The mother wanted a picture of our girls and their two girls, but our kiddos are SO over being the center of attention!





Much of the delicious fruit sold in Korea is grown on Jeju Island. It is definitely one of my favorite things about Korea!


You know you are in Asia when...you need to be directed to sit vs squat on the toilet ;) So funny. This was in a stall at Sunrise Peak.


Chris with Mya in the pack and holding Claire while climbing up the mountain.


A view of below from 1/3 up the mountain.


This picture shows how crowded and narrow the passages were, but I intended to capture the guy's shirt--in the white. It says, "You're mine." His wife/girlfriend had on a matching one. I love dressing my children as "twins" but only because they are children. I can't imagine Chris and I dressing the same, but this is VERY common in Korea. I still laugh everytime I see it.


Finally at the top, although you'd wouldn't think we were at the top of a mountain ;) It looked like a prairie.


CLaire was so excited for Dunkin Donuts! We haven't had these since we left Massachusetts :)




entering the cave.


CLaire at the end of the cave.



CLaire and Mya outside the Chocolate Museum. One side of the museum featured these statues, whereas the other side featured:


this.



Mya thought it was so cool that these bears were sitting around on the benches. She's so funny.




Mya on the train enroute to our town. She grabbed the handle herself, which everyone thought was so cute. She has won the hearts of many Koreans, bowing, sharing her limited Korean vocabulary and smiles galore.



Exhaustion set in.
 Our last attraction for the day was the lava tubes, Manjanggul Cave. This is the world's largest known lava cave created by volcanic activity. It is a 1000 m. lava tube carved through a mountain by lava that erupted from a nearby volcano. The lava burned through the rock and created this tube consisting of an opening of various sizes. It was very interesting to see, but Mya was definitely not a fan. The poor girl whined and cried nearly through the entire visit.

The final day, we visited the Chocolate Museum before leaving. It was not quite what we expected. It was an eclectic mix of Johnny Depp, Santa Claus, Teddy bears, and Chocolate. Odd. After 3 days of being away from all things American, we were thrilled when the final stop offered Krackel, Mr. Goodbar, and Hershey's bars each for 500 won. Ridiculously priced, but well worth the taste of America.

The trip was lovely. It wasn't the most relaxing, but it was scenic and very beautiful. We decided that we'd be in big trouble if we were to live overseas without the luxuries from home (i.e. base restaurants, and the commissary). I must say that it put a whole different perspective on deprivation for me!

Claire and her new friend.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Love the post! Those girls are so cute I can hardly wait for your arrival! I'm counting down the days! We will have to have a lake trip when you are here and see how the kiddos like boating! I miss you guys so much..just thankful that you have less than a year to go!
Love ya,
J
Anonymous said…
Kara those are beautiful pictures. you guys looked like you were enjoying yourself.

Claire looks so much older than what she is. She also looks like your younger sisters.

I chose a couple of the pictures of the girls to print for my self. I could not resist.


love you guys
jeanniy
Kara said…
@ Jeannie--That's funny that Claire looks like my sisters because I really think she looks like Chris--minus the blond hair and green eyes. She got those from me ;)She has grown so much. We spend many tearful nights watching old videos as the time has passed so quickly. When we move to our next base, she'll actually be starting KINDERGARTEN! AHhh!
@ Jessica--COUNTING THE DAYS!!! YAY! Claire is driving me crazy with all the ND talk. She is super excited too, which doesn't help time pass any more quickly ;)
anangelita55 said…
ur daughters are so adorable!!!!!! love this post!
i just started following ur blog
i'm a military gf starting my own blog:
http://livelaughlovehavenoregrets.blogspot.com/
hope u can follow and share the love

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???