Skip to main content

China Day 5

Our last day in China was supposed to be pretty low-key, basically involving packing and heading to the airport for our departure. However, the days before were so filled that we ended up moving a few things around so life would be a little more manageable. Our first stop was Tiananamen Square. This was such a huge area. It was rather amazing to think such protests could take place on the ground which we were walking. It was calm, fairly empty and music filled the air. They also had an incredible panoramic screen sharing all that China had to offer.

My Mom in Tiananmen Square.

Us in Tiananmen Square.


Monument to the soldiers who lost their lives.

Guard in front of Tiananmen Square.

A monument representing the People's Republic of China.




Horsing around in the square.

More chasing and entertaining our kiddos.

And even more fun.
Our final stop was The Temple of Heaven. This place was 3 times larger than the Forbidden City. It was very, very large. The grounds around the Temple were filled with people dancing, exercising, playing games like Badminton, and Hackey Sack. It was neat seeing adults participating in all these different activities. The Temple itself was beautifully painted--ornate as many of the buildings throughout Asia. We did the picture thing then boarded the bus once again.
Dancing fun outside the Temple of Heaven.




Senior Citizens gathered along the porticos outside the Temple of Heaven--playing card games, knitting.



Shadow fun--this is a dog courtesy of Chris.

Claire and her friend, Madison outside the Temple of Heaven.


Thai Chi--many go to the Temple of Heaven for morning exercise.

Many were gathered playing badminton, hackey sack or other forms of activity. 

The Temple of Heaven.

My Mom outside the Temple of Heaven.

Claire.




Our attempt to have a photo of Chris and I, but as you can see, it didn't go well. Claire and Mya joined in.


Where are the Boynton's? We are on the upper terrace. My Mom is chiming in to say this photo gives an idea of the size of the Temple. I think it is similar to a "Where's Waldo" photo.


Blurred knitting.

Playing cards.

Dominoes or Mahjong.
Our final stop was The Last Lunch. I was never so happy to know that I wouldn't have to look at Chinese food for quite some time. I have had my fill.
Our LAST Chinese meal. Amen!

We boarded the bus one last time and made our way to the airport. The return trip was quick and easy. We were delayed leaving China about an hour, but the kids did well. It was a smooth flight. We were all excited to step foot on Korean soil once again. Our trip to China was amazing. We had a wonderful time and I am so happy that my Mom was able to join us. It was nice spending time together and we loved having her with us.

Comments

ND NIC said…
Looks like you had a great time -- What an awesome experience for you guys. I sent you a Christmas card, so I hope you get it.....Take care!
Hugs,
Nicole
Erin said…
It looks like it was very cold in China!

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???