Skip to main content

Zermatt, Switzerland--Part 1

We went on our first, big European holiday to Zermatt, Switzerland. Despite half of our family being sick, it was amazing! Amazing and expensive, but we'll focus on the amazing part. Zermatt is a little village tucked in the valley under the shadows of the Matterhorn. The Matterhorn is still one of the most deadly mountain climbs to this day. It has quite the presence. Zermatt is a electric powered vehicle village, which means no personal cars/trucks. Taxis, busses, and shuttles are electric and bikes are the primary mode of transportation. It is a small, quaint little ski village where walking is a way of life. It takes about 15 minutes to walk from one end of the village to the other. You can only get to Zermatt by train, which costs about 5 Swiss Franc per round trip.
Chris and I.

Chris and I with the Matterhorn right behind us. Mya called the Mountain "Cloud Mountain" as it was often engulfed.


Mya with Chris.


Claire and Mya. They were so cute. Everyone couldn't believe how little they were and how well they had done.

Claire making her way to Mr. Brad.

Breathtaking view of the Alps!

Precious Mya checking out her skiis.

The Gondolas that we rode to the top of the mountain each day. Claire called them "the bubble."

The Matterhorn
The trip was organized by some people involved in Finance. Transportation, breakfast, a 3 course dinner each night and a 4 star hotel were included in the package. Our bags and gear were loaded onto carts which were then loaded on the train. It was so convenient as the carts were then driven down to the hotel, so we didn't need to lug our stuff across the village. We stayed at Aristella. I neglected to take photos of this hotel, but it was recently renovated in 2010. The rooms were modern, comfortable and spacious by European standards. The bathtub was amazingly large! Breakfasts were delicious--fresh fruit, fresh breads, cheeses, meats, vegetables, cereal, yogurts, eggs. They were typical European fare with some American as well. The hotel had a spa, which included saunas and two steam rooms. Our only gripe with the hotel was that it did not have a swimming pool. It would have been a bit more convenient if it had, but a great place regardless.

We were excited to take our kids skiing for the first time. We have been looking forward to this for some time, but it seems Mya was just a bit too young last year. We enrolled them in Ski School, which was somewhat of a disaster. The instructor (most of which were American or British and NOT Swiss) was wonderful. He had Mya's heart from the begininning when she insisted Mr. Brad help her put on her boots; however, he also had 6 other children to teach who ranged in age from 3-9. Nightmare! It didn't go so well. Chris and I went on one run, only to come up to Mya having a meltdown. We stayed with them for the rest of the session, ate lunch, then decided Mya and I would return to the hotel for a nap. Claire stayed and worked with Mr. Brad. She did great and loved it. 

Comments

Erin said…
I am so glad that Claire had a good time! Mya is a bit young to be in a group with kids up to age 9 but its good that she got out on skis (and I love that she had a crush on her teacher!)
jeanniy said…
Kara, the pictures are beautiful. I am certain it is breathe taking there. I love mountains!!!

You guys look like you had a great time.

So happy you had the opportunity.

sorry to hear Mya did not have as much fun, maybe if she was feeling better. She will enjoy it next time.

Jeannie
Anonymous said…
Looks fun! Glad the girls were quick to learn the ropes! Now you guys need to come visit us! We all can hit the slopes! Are these all the pictures you took? I need some serious photo shopping for my Christmas picture! Get figuring that out! It was a dang hurricane my hair was everywhere!

Love ya, j

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought