Skip to main content

Sometimes the sunshine comes out ;)

I had always heard about the gray German skies. How sometimes the sun doesn't shine for weeks. How sometimes depression is a bit catchy because of the yucky, dreary weather. Hmmm. Perhaps this post is a bit metaphorical. Our life has been a bit dreary for the past two months, but you know what??--sometimes the sunshine does come out. Things finally start like they are picking up again. We are moving closer to our home buying purchase. We met with a bank last night that finally made us feel like we were getting a good deal vs. handing over our lives. If all continues to go well, we will own a home before the ball drops for 2013. A house, which I might add, will be paid in full within 10 years. Crazy! The kicker is that it cost more than our house in Massachusetts cost and that sucker was no bargain. So exciting! Our big plan is to purchase, pay like crazy for the 3 years we live in it, then depending on how it all plays out, rent it out. The next few years are critical in Chris' career. He'll be up for his first big board, which will determine how much longer he stays in the military. He could retire after our next duty station. That seems so hard to believe, but it's true. Anyway, I have the option to stay in Germany as long as I'd like, so we have a lot to think about.
We've been working so hard on getting rid of any excess debt. It feels so good. We were out of credit card debt before moving to Germany, but tacked on some when we were getting settled. We had to pay a lot out of pocket--oil for our house, a house hunter fee $2500, one month deposit for our house which was another $2500, not to mention that I got a major upgrade on my ring over the summer ;). That pretty much cleared out alot of our savings, but we new we were solid. Oh yeah, there was also a major fiasco about who was going to pay for my trip and the kids' trip from Seattle to ND then back to Baltimore. In the end, WE ended up footing that bill. Long story, but it was a good thing we did. If I had fought the government from my end, they would have paid, but I would have lost my benefits when I was rehired. Thanking the Lord above for looking out for us on that one. Those benefits are now footing the bill for our house--the very one that will paid in 10 years ;) Anyway, we're now tackling that remaining credit card balance and trying to follow the Dave Ramsey philosophy of life. In preparation for our move, I've done a bit of liquidating. Love that!
Emotionally, I feel like I am finally coming full circle. I feel stable and ready to move on. I really haven't felt this good for 2 months. It was 2 months and 2 days ago that we hopped on the rollercoaster ride and finally, I feel like it is slowing down enough to jump off. So with that, I will!
Next week we are heading to Switzerland for a ski trip in the Alps. It is going to be awesome. Supposedly we can ski the Swiss side or Italian side--talk about options! The view is going to be incredible. I can't wait to see my kids on skis. I am looking forward to the cool wind blowing on my face as I fumble my way down that mountain. Can. Not. Wait.
Sunshine--keep on shining.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad things are looking up! So jealous about your ski trip, sounds fun! Hopefully, you remember how to ski! Hasn't it been a few years at least? We are going the other direction, frosty margarita on a Bahamas beach! Super excited! Anyway, I hoping my personal designer comes up with an awesome Christmas card, ponder that in the Alps! PS Jackson has his first ear infection!

Love ya, J
Erin said…
ummmm....very jealous about the ski trip......

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought