Skip to main content

A Lesson at 6.

Growing up in ND, my exposures to religions other than the basics (Catholisism, Lutheran, etc.) was limited. I knew of the Jewish religion and of course others that are more common in the middle east, which I learned about in History classes. I also remember my parents and aunts/uncles talking about Mormonism and the amazing Temples when we traveled to Arizona. I simply never knew any Mormons.  Well it seems that since we moved overseas, Chris and I have developed a magnet of sorts. In Korea, our wonderful neighbors were Mormons. We spent Thanksgiving with a large group of their friends on a trip to southern South Korea. I have stayed in touch with many of these lovely people. Arriving in Germany, again, we discovered a large population of Mormons in our military community. Interestingly, Claire's best friend since kindergarten is Mormon. Obviously, the goal of religion is to spread the word, encourage others to join you in your beliefs and show others why what you believe is superior. However, in our 3+ years of experience and friendships with some of the most kind, loving and sweetest people ever, Chris and I have never felt pressured by any of them. This is where our story begins...

I drop Claire off in the gymnasium every morning with the other 1st graders in our school. There they sit according to their class and wait for their teachers to come get them. Claire always sits by her BFF Emma. One morning last week, I dropped her off and watched Emma gift Claire with a book. A blue book. I could vaguely make out the words--"The Book of Mormon." My heart dropped and I could feel it begin to beat more quickly. Thankfully, I'd already said my "I love you, have a great day," so I could mentally prepare myself before Claire showed me her gift. My mind was racing as to how to handle the situation. Chris and I have been very open with Claire about what we believe. We've read stories from the Children's Bible, focused on the reasons of why we celebrate Christmas, why we are kind to everyone, honesty, prayer, doing what is right, etc. We've incorporated it into our daily life. We don't beat them over the heads with Bibical verses, but encourage them to lead a Godly life by following our lead. I called Chris and shared with him the news of the gift. His immediate response was to blow it off and simply appease Claire's curiosity by reading it with her. I didn't agree. Knowing how confusing the text in the Bible actually was, I wasn't about to embark on a journey like that sifting through words that were not in my heart. I certainly didn't want my 6 year old absorbing those words as her own either. Chris and I talked it over and finally agreed on how to proceed.

Mya and I picked up Claire and like I imagined, she immediately shared her excitement over the gift she had received from Emma. I began my explanation of how there are many different kinds of religions or things that people believe. We talked about how we are Christians. We believe in God and the words in the Bible. Emma is a Mormon. She believes much of what we believe, but she also believes in the Book of Mormon. We don't share this belief. We only believe what is written in the Bible. I went on to explain how we are very much alike Emma's family. We believe in being kind to others, helping others, loving all, praying, etc. I acknowledged Emma's kindness in sharing her book with Claire. I didn't take the book away and in fact, told Claire that she could read it if she wanted. I also suggested she try to read one of the other Children's Bibles that we have if she wanted to learn more about our faith. It was most important to me that I did  not portray one religion or belief system as being better than another. It isn't my place to judge and I certainly do not want to encourage judgement in my children. It is God's place to judge, whereas ours is simply to love thy neighbor as ourselves. That is the lesson I want Claire to walk away with.

Since that day, Claire has faithfully read her Children's Bible each night. She and I discuss the story on the way to school the next morning. She shares what she read and I drive home the lesson that is to be learned. All in all, this "gift" has been a gift to our entire family. It has sparked a desire in Claire and in turn, fostered deeper conversations in our family. It truly is amazing all the wonderful friendships that we have developed with our Mormon friends, but none have been as powerful as the 6 year old who is truly doing God's work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought