Skip to main content

Now

I came across these two poems earlier today and they resonated with me. They speak clearly to our life at this moment. I have so many raw emotions right now. Thinking Gavin may be our last baby has filled my eyes with tears on many occasions. I actually messaged Chris at work yesterday, saying maybe we should  have one more child so Gavin would have a playmate as well. Ha. (That's not going to happen. It was a moment of sheer insanity.) Babyhood is not my favorite period of motherhood, but I could eat up every snuggle, smile and stare. Juggling three has been a chaotic existance. I am filled with constant worry and anxiety as thoughts of forgetting something, neglecting someone, forcing Mya and Claire to help too much and thereby grow up too quickly run rampant in my head. I've spent much time reflecting on each period of transition--bringing Claire home from the hospital, then bringing Mya into our family, and finally Gavin. Each period was filled with bits of chaos and stress. Each period was survived and enjoyed. And each one looks less chaotic now. For the time being, life is full of prioritizing, praying, savoring each happy moment while forgetting others, and trying each and everyday to be the Momma my amazing children deserve. That, my friends, is my daily battle--being and giving everything to everyone and making sure, all the balls I am juggling, stay in motion. Knowing that in a matter of weeks, summer will be upon us and schedules will be put on hold, adventures will be had and family time will be plentiful is that light at the end of this tunnel.

Sentimentalby Annie Flavin

“You’re so sentimental now.”

I respond defensively at first.
But then,
I think,
how would I otherwise
make it through?

I pour myself
a glass at 5pm,
or meet friends at a park,
to laugh off the day.

But then,
when it’s the middle of the night
and the bottle’s empty
and the friends are asleep,
but my baby is awake,
what then?

When I’m so tired
that anger is the first emotion
I feel
when the few minutes of sleep
I’ve gotten
are interrupted,
I stop myself.

I’ve dreamed of you.
I’ve wanted you.
You are everything to me.

If I don’t take a moment,
to watch them while they sleep on me,
how can I deal with them
while they’re awake?

If I don’t take a moment
to notice and remark
on their tiny hands and pudgy feet,
how can I stand
the trail of disaster
they leave in their wake?

Is a toddler whiney?
Is a teenager moody?
A mother is sentimental.

I’ve seen the mother
of older kids
glancing at me in the grocery store
as I corral my children.
She looks
wistfully
at the chaos
and says,
“Enjoy it. It goes by so quickly.”

She’s a sap, too,
like all of the mothers before her.

Just like me. Just like you.
Just like all of us
when we remember
our baby asleep
on our chest.

Each Time
by Annie Flavin

Each time
I put them down to rest,
I kiss them good-night,
I kiss all of my screw-ups good-bye,
and I vow that
when they awaken,
we will all be new.

We can begin again.
We can start fresh.
Each and every moment.

If we can ditch
our own hang-ups and hangings-on of where we’ve failed,
and give fresh love
and serious attention,
they’ll rise right to us.

In fact,
most of the time,
they’re waiting for me
in that fresh, new space.

I just have to join them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought