Skip to main content

Land of Living...

We have returned to the land of the living. As you've probably heard, MA was hit heavily by freezing rain. Although storms of this nature are quite common out here, this is the first I've been through since moving here three years ago. Of course, it had to occur when Chris was away as all bad things do! Thursday night was filled with a whole lot of security work and not much sleep, well at least for me. Claire and Harvest slept great! Trees were snapping throughout the night, sounding like gunshots. It was awful. Chris used to worry about the huge trees that align our house. I guess I took over that worry. Each seemed to stay intact and fairly upright, though. I thought we were in good shape. The electricity went out around 2:00 am, which sounded off our security system. Scary. I shut it off and went searching for candles and a lighter. I did manage some sleep for a couple more hours and later called in to work, thinking I'd be a few hours late. The main problem through my eyes was that I had put the pathfinder in the garage and couldn't open it without the electricity--at least by myself. Little did I know that trees had fallen everywhere and we wouldn't have electricity for 28+ hours. With the electricity went the heat. We didn't really notice that until around noon on Friday. The three of us just hung out in bed, reading books, playing with toys and watching the cars go by. We went outside and assessed the damage. Tree limbs were everywhere, but none appeared to hit our house. (I took some pictures, but can't post them until I can load them appropriately.) I managed to get the garage door open by myself (Yay! Woman Power!!), so we went for a drive--heated! Target was open, so we picked up a few things. It was like Armageddon. People were loading up like they would never have power again. It was amazing. We returned home and started making some dinner. I remember my Grandma Arlene lighting her gas stove with a match sometimes, so I gave it a try for myself. It worked great! We actually had a hot meal. The problem was that it became dark soon after the food was ready. Claire doesn't do well eating in light, so darkness was a whole new level of not eating. To make matters worse, she wanted to walk, but in doing so, kept bumping into things which lead to crying. It was torture for us both. The temp in our house was down to 56 degrees. I decided to pack up and find a hotel with temps expected to reach the 20's during the night. We started to drive to base, only to have Chris call and say that they were booked. I had reached my breaking point. I started to cry. It was awful. I just didn't know what I was going to do with Claire and our dog for days without heat. I kept driving and Chris kept calling. He found us a room in Burlington that would take pets. Thank you, Jesus! We enjoyed a nice warm bed, cable tv, and pizza. Saturday morning, we headed back home to check on the pipes as Chris was nervous the pipes in the floor for our radiant heat would freeze. Low and behold, I flipped the light switch and the lights turned on!! Amen! It was 49 degrees inside, but definitely a step forward. I quickly left and went back to the hotel to collect our things and checkout. We returned to town, shopped, ate and wasted as much time as possible before returning to our cold house. Saturday involved alot of work as I had emptied the deep freeze, fridge and freezer upstairs. I had to put it all back, unpack, wash clothes, etc. It was busy, which helped us stay warm. Life has since returned to normal for the most part. We don't have cable, phone or internet and may not until Christmas. I am so happy to have heat! It was a long, emotionally draining experience, but I guess we survived and I proved that I can handle being a single parent in a crisis. Thank you God for answering my prayers!

Comments

Anonymous said…
What an ordeal...... I was thinking about you and Clarie after seeing the news. Glad everything worked out!
Nicole
Erin&Joshua said…
Hey!

I am glad things worked out. I tried calling your house and realized that when your machine didn't pick up you were probably without power. Josh's parents moved into our house till Monday night as they didn't have power either! We were spared and the last few areas in our state should have power by the end up the week.

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought