Skip to main content

mya's arrival






after one quick, easy recovery and the uncertainty of having assistance with claire since chris was in iraq, i decided early on in this pregnancy that i would deliver via a repeat ceserean section. it was nice having the day determined ahead of time. my mom was able to fly in to assist with claire and i was able to have everything wrapped up at work, even allowing myself some much needed relaxation before the big day. we dropped claire off at daycare, which was rather difficult for me. knowing i would be spending my first night away from her was sad. i couldn't help but tear up at the thought of not tucking in her or smothering her with kisses each night, even though i knew very well that she was in great hands. anyway, we said our good-byes and my mom, chris and i proceeded to the hospital. we arrived at 9:45, i changed into a gown and they began to monitor the baby. she was monitored for 30 minutes, they drew blood and started an iv. we sat and waited. it felt like an eternity as we anticipated the arrival of our wonderful baby.
chris changed into his scrubs at 11:30 and was taken to the operating room shortly after. i accompanied him moments later. the doctors and nurses prepped me for surgery--catheder, spinal and oxygen. the spinal left something to be desired. such an odd feeling to have absolutely no control over my legs and the burning sensation that ran down my legs as it was begin administered wasn't fun. however, moments later i was left wondering if i made the right decision having the c-section as i was vomiting and feeling faint. strange. my nausea was short lived, thankfully.
once i was settled, chris was seated by my head. he held my hand as we both eagerly awaited the cries of our baby girl. moments later, at 12:20 to be exact, we heard just that. cries from my tummy, literally. mya arlene boynton was making herself heard before she truly ever entered this world. the nurses thought her crying was quite funny. she was pulled out of my tummy. chris took pictures while tears welled in my eyes. it was such a beautiful moment. i couldn't believe i was a mommy of two lovely girls. wow. immediately thoughts of her resemblance to claire rushed to my mind. mya was healthy and thriving, earning apgars of 9 and 9. we couldn't have asked for better. she weighed 8 lbs. 10.5 oz. and was 22 inches long. she had a head circumference of 37, which was in the 90th percentile. all in all, she was a big, healthy girl.
chris accompanied mya to the nursery, while doctor j-a finished stitching me. i was soon returned to our labor and delivery room where my mom was waiting. i felt great. chris came with mya and i nursed her for the first time. she immediately latched on, which was of great relief to me. (claire wasn't so great about maintaining a latch, which ultimately lead me to pumping full-time.) chris stayed for awhile, hoping i'd be transferred to the maternity ward, which didn't happen until nearly 4:30 pm. he decided he'd better go home and pick up claire for the big introduction. they returned and claire was immediately smitten. she pointed and said, "baby, baby." she gave mya kisses and wanted to constantly look at her. she was great. at one point, mya was crying and claire said, "cryin' mya," which made us all laugh. she really hadn't said mya's name before that point.
the next few days blended together. things went well, other than my low blood pressure. early saturday morning, the nurse wanted me to go to the bathroom so she could remove my catheder. however, i ended up fainting. it was rather scary for chris as he sat and watched from his bed across the room as nurses ran into the room to assist. i was fine. they got me back in bed. however, later that morning, i had another near fainting spell. luckily, the nurse noticed my color had changed and urged the second nurse to get me back to bed. they did and i was fine. they were able to remove the catheder which meant that i had to use a bedside commode a couple of times. it was quite the experience. sunday was a great day. i felt like my old self and was up and moving around. mya was well too. she ate well and slept well too. she had her crying fits, but was fairly easily consoled. claire and my mom came and visited each day for most of the day. it got to be rather long for both of them, but it was nice to have the company. claire continued to shower mya with love. she did well not having me at home, although she didn't quite understand why i wasn't there. she asked for me at bedtime, but other than that, was happy as a clam.
because mya's ventricle in her brain was measuring large at 35 and 37 weeks, a follow up ultrasound was ordered. this in-depth u/s was done monday morning. two radiologists read the scan and determined the measurements to be 10 mm, which was within the range of normal. this news was of great relief to chris and i. we waited for nearly 4 painstaken hours, wondering what the outcome would be. thank goodness we had the official word that our baby was in fact, healthy in all ways. we left for home around 2:30. life was good.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah!

Love ya
J
Anonymous said…
Mya has arrived! Thanks for the update--glad all is well!

Welcome to the world Mya--we love you!

Love, Jessica
Amber said…
Congrats!!! Can't wait to see pictures. Mya, what a beautiful name.
Erin said…
very happy for you all :)
Erin said…
This is all such great news KAra!!!!
Anonymous said…
Can't wait to see her!

Lauren

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Claire, Mya and the NEWS

Chris and I had this elaborate plan on how we were going to share the news with our girls. I ordered adorable shirts, which took forever to get here. They were supposed to ship Oct. 4, but didn't. I am not a patient soul at all. I love to share good news and spread the excitement. We went to a German doctor last week for a gender reveal ultrasound. He was 99% certain of his selection. Claire and I began looking at clothes online. She asked questions about why we were looking at baby clothing, but thankfully, my sister has a little guy and a baby girl who is due in December. They are my perfect excuses for all things baby! Claire asked nothing more and began pointing out things we should buy Jackson or the new baby girl. Our weekends typically involve partaking in a local event or just relaxing, which means a trip to the KMCC Mall. Saturday we went shopping or at least looking. Once again, the girls became excited, choosing items for Jackson or the new baby girl. I decided I cou