Skip to main content

Pink Family

Chris and I are creatures of habit. We like what we like. When we find something especially wonderful, we tend to go a bit overboard. Case in point--Chinese restaurant in Minot, ND. We frequented it often at least a couple of times per week. This was basically THE place we went out to eat. The host actually started to say things like, "nice to see you AGAIN." We were rather embarrassed and fearful that his line would eventually become, "your usual table?" Thankfully we moved.
Since coming to Korea, we've tried every Brazilian Steakhouse (there are 4 or 5), I deemed Ceia my favorite. It has the most delicious white rice with which I put this onion mixture on top and it is oh. so. yummy. We became frequent visitors--typically one night per week. We joked between ourselves that we were going to be greeted as we were dreading in Minot. It never happened, thankfully, but who knows what the staff actually said as they primarily spoke Korean :)
Another quirk Chris and I share are the challenges we initiate. It is done mostly as a form of torture, but they can be rather enjoyable. Yes, enjoyable torture. I suggested we challenge ourselves by not eating out from January 22nd-February 29th. While we didn't quite make it, (Chris blew it just so you know), our return to our favorite stomping ground made for a delightful conversation.
This is how it went:
Me: Could we get one very small scoop of gelatto divided into two cups?
Korean Girl: Sure. Well, actually no, but I will for you. Everyone likes you family. (She nods to the kitchen area)
Me: Oh, that's so nice!
Korean Girl: Yes. We call you "pink family." Because you are so pretty. You all so pretty.
Me: Oh, really? That's so funny. We thought you must know us by name we come so often.
Korean Girl: We thought you left Korea.
Me: Oh no. Not yet. We were just trying not to eat out for a month ;) We really love this restaurant. It is our favorite. (Korean girl smiled and handed the cups, then went to tell her friend about our conversation and I ran back to the table to tell Chris.)

Chris and I later joked that I may have misunderstood. Perhaps she was saying "pig family." WHOOO Knows?? So delightfully funny. It made my very bad day so much brighter. My shopping adventure tomorrow should help a little too. Fabric anyone?

Comments

Jessica said…
ha ha...that is hilarious! You are definitely a creature of habit! I'm home all day today as I work the weekend so you can call me anytime! Nate is traveling for work so lets hope this baby doesn't make his appearance today!

Love ya,
J
Anonymous said…
Too funny! I wonder what Chris thought about being the "Pink Family"? Definitely not very macho! Have fun dining out!
Lisa
ND NIC said…
That is way too funny.....cracks me up. While you are out on one of your shopping adventures sometime I would love it if you could find something Korean for me for our house -- nothing big, but something I can stick in/on a shelf -- you know what I like.....That would be lovely and I would reimburse you for sure....
Kev and I are seriously wanting to come for a visit when you go to Germany -- very excited that you get to go thre -- it's awesome. I wonder if you'll be a the same school my dad taught at if you get in the school system there....that would be pretty cool.
Hugs - Nicole
Kara said…
@ Nic--I will look for a little something for you. Absolutely! You most definitely have to come over. No excuses! I can't wait to get over there and get settled. We are coming back to ND in June and the girls and I will stay for a month or so. No definite plans yet, but I'll be in touch. Can't wait to see your beautiful kiddos. Colby is getting so big ;)
Jessica said…
UPDATe your blog already!

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought