Skip to main content

Notes to Our Future Selves

1. DO NOT GET A DOG.
2. Round Worms in Dogs are utterly disgusting (and quite a good diet initiator--you hardly ate for 3 days because of the visual image alone)
3. Crying and constant movement at night makes for sleep deprived and consequently, crabby, stressed, and  intolerant parents.
4. Waking up at 4:00 to take the dog outside is painful.
5. Listening to the dog vomit then lick up his own vomit during the night is enough to make your stomach churn.
6. When you ask yourself, "how bad can it be," know that it can ALWAYS be worse.
7. DO NOT GET A DOG.
8. Stay off facebook.
9. Sometimes it is okay to say NO.
10. Sometimes it is OKAY to be SELFISH.
11. DO NOT GET A DOG.

Here's the lowdown...
Chris was out on the patio outside our dining room, grilling burgers while the dogs and children froliced. He popped his head inside only to inform me that the "dogs had gotten into some pasta somewhere," but he can't remember when we've had pasta. (See--it is the lack of sleep that is making him delirious.) Hmm. We haven't had any pasta in months! Ding. Ding. I go outside. Take a peek at one of the 4 piles of "noodles" outside my house and run inside to google "worms in dogs." Yep. Round worm. OMG. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. Nasty! (1 meter long and piles of them--I like to share the disgust) We pull the kids inside, call the vet, grab a bag to collect a sample. Yep. Second most disgusting thing EVER. Chris heads off to the vet and I grab the bleach, bucket and scrub brush. Cleaning and disinfecting everything! I was on a mission. The dogs' feet were scrubbed, shoes were scrubbed and my house was sterilized. Reading the info on roundworms in children about pushed me over the edge. I quickly messaged the owner and told her the dogs had to go, knowing no one in their right mind would take them.
Friday came. Chris and I went to work, sharing our horrors of the night before and listening to others' advice on how to determine if our children have worms. Not advice you want to hear--involves more nastiness. I called the pediatrician, who basically informed me that the chances are significantly small that our children are in danger. I felt a bit better, but the images of worms still ran through my head. The dogs feet were scrubbed each and every time they entered my house and seeing the dirty that remained once again, pushed the nasty images into my head. Yucko. Dogs and dirty little creatures.
Saturday came and we escaped the prison we previously called home to go to a movie. After a nice day away, we went home, started a fire, changed into our pjs to watch a movie. Chris was in the process of syncing my Ipad when he said the most amazing words. Misti-Dawn (Yep that's her name. What is it with me and stripper names. I swear I don't know much about the industry, but really, this one fits the bill too!) messaged you with an address for the dogs. He could barely get the words out when we jumped off the couch to change our clothes, load up the kids and dogs and set out on our new journey towards FREEDOM! We found the house, dumped the dogs and left the albatross behind. AMMMMEEENNN!
Sunday was again a day of disinfecting, sterilizing and containing our children to the only area of the yard that hadn't been contaminated by those creatures. (It snowed and our kids were dying to see the snow in all its glory.)
Life is good again. It is amazing how much stress two little dogs can add to your life. Running home after work, scheduling your life around their needs, arranging care, blah, blah, blah. The impact  and inconvenience go on forever. It is not for us at least at this point in our lives. Maybe when we are truly settled, our kids are self-sufficient and we have no life, it will be a better time. Right now we are scheduled, need the freedom to travel and are selfish in the sense that we don't push off our responsibilities on others. I am glad this situation was only temporary. It provided a great lesson, if nothing else. Now, go buy your dogs some heartworm preventative!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ha so funny! Glad you are free at last! I'm grossed out at the thought! Thanks for not posting a picture....I know your sick humor! And i distinctively remember u posting poop and vomit pics of the kiddos!


Love ya, j

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought