Skip to main content

Torticollis
















At Mya's 2 month checkup her pediatrician made a referral for physical therapy to eval and treat suspected torticollis. Mya has a tendency to tilt her head to the right. She also prefers to keep her head turned to her right side. I had never heard of such an issue, so this was rather interesting. July/August was such a flurry for us that I never had a chance to schedule the eval. I finally got her into a PT this week even though I was certain nothing would be identified. The condition had improved so much over the last month that I felt the final slight tilt that remained would eventually self-correct as well. The PT herself left so much to be desired. I think she sized us up as a typical, uneducated military family. Chris, who was in uniform, tended to Claire, but listened and watched as I worked with Mya and interacted with the PT. She talked to me as if I were an idiot. I really hate people like that. Anyway, after she beat the dead horse by telling us how assymetrical Mya's head, face and ears (yes, EARS!!) were (only after asking several questions, the snob revealed that a 1 on her special little paper was well within the average range) , she began to tell me 4 times that I needed to complete the exercises 4 times per day at home to stretch out her neck muscles. By this point I had had it. I finally told her that I was well aware of how important home practice was being that I was a Speech Pathologist and home programming was a key component of my job. Evidently my comment was well taken and the tides turned. She immediately began to coochy coo up to me by telling me everything she knew about speech. It was rather funny. I think Chris enjoyed this shift more than anyone. I enjoyed jabbing the fact that I have as much education as that idiot right down her throat. Anyway, the end result of the evaluation is that Mya does have a mild case of torticollis due to the way she was positioned in utero. She also has an assymetrical head, but well within the normal range. We need to try to position her a bit differently and keep her on her tummy or upright as much as possible to allow her head to correct the very mild flatness. We are doing exercises to stretch out the neck muscles and will go back to PT in 2 weeks to check progress. I can't wait to see how she talks to us at that point.

In other news...Mya is at such a good point right now. She smiles, giggles and sits contently just taking in all the action. She is such a little love bug. Mya loves to snuggle and has become more engaged with toys, even grasping rattles and things. She especially loves her big sister. Claire is extra great with her too. She'll sit across from her in the supersaucer, shaking rattles and making noises at her in hopes to make her smile. Claire is always concerned about where Mya is. Mya is doing great at daycare too. Our daycare lady, Maureen, can't get over how similar Mya is to Claire. I guess we see it too, but they are quite different too. Mya has been a good sleeper since she was born, but the last two nights have been so so so wonderful. She slept from 8-5:40 on Thursday night and from 8:00-4:00 then 4:15-8:00 this morning. I love my sleep so this was the best gift she could give me.

Comments

April said…
Good for you for keeping your cool with the evil doers in healthcare! When will they ever learn that Mom knows best?!? Your girls are such little hams, I love the pics!
Erin said…
sometimes as uncomfortable it is you have to put people in their place. I am really proud of you for doing so; you guys are great advocates for yourselves and your girls! We got your card in the mail, thank you so much for sending it - we can't wait to see you guys in October!
Kara said…
Erin,
I responded to your suggestion of the first weekend in October, but on the wrong post. Anyway, we actually have friends flying in that weekend. Do you have another one open? We do want to see you :)
Anonymous said…
what who is flying in to see you? I am glad you finally took her in...i was looking through some of my books and I have stretches for her as well..we could have solved this problem months ago!

Love ya,
Jessica
Erin said…
I think that we might be free on the 10th or after the 17th.
mom/jeannie said…
I am smirking just reading this. I know just how you felt. I have been asked to leave several Dr's offices. They think they know everything. I am proud of you for keeping it cool and gyour point across. These days you have to be assertive with medical people or they will walk all over you.


The girls look great !!!!

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought