Skip to main content

Korea Day 1

This one is hard to see and again, probably embarrassing to Chris. I am not the traditional sight see-er, I guess. I like to take pictures of things that are interesting and show culture and lifestyle. This is definitely one of those pictures. When people take pictures here, they often make the "peace" sign. The girl in white is doing just that. So funny. Chris told me that it often feels like the 80's here. He is so right. The music is  like "bubble gum"--kind of light and bubbly. Very different than that which we are used to. The songs often combine English and Korean lyrics which is also strange.
This man was cleaning a pond filled with lotus flowers and lily pads. I thought it was interesting. He is using a wire skimmer type tool. Korea seems to be so advanced in terms of technology, yet traditional in so many other ways.

Chris in front of a traditional Korean building. Not sure what it was, but thought it was beautiful. When I pictured Korea in my mind, I saw far more traditional buildings like this. It is much more Americanized with skyscrapers, etc. THere are a few buildings that have architectural simliarities to this, but those are few and far between.

These statues were similar to totem poles. They kept out evil spirits from homes. There are still several standing around the area today.

This is a casket. Koreans were once buried with the same elaboration that is given at a wedding. Brides were carried down the aisle in something similar. The mourning period was three years and often consisted of loved ones building dwellings near the buriel site.
I am so happy that I decided not to drag our children all the way over here. It was a bloody long flight. I am not sure what I was thinking it would be, but 16 hours in a single plane is enough to make me batty. The flight itself was awesome. I was going to take some pictures of the cute, little flight attendants, but opted to not look so foolish. They were truly a lovely site. Each picture perfect, porcelain skin, silk green top with cute little khaki pencil skirt. Their hair was in a bun with traditional Korean sticks holding it and they had this starched scarf around their neck that stuck out. It is hard to explain, but truly picture perfect. I swear not a hair moved that entire flight. It was amazing. I have never quite had service like this before. American attendants could take note. The second a call light was on at least 2 attendants were right there. It was kind of funny. Anyway, the food was not as good, but I guess I should have expected as much on an airplane. For lunch I tried to be adventurous and choose the Korean dish which was a rice and vegetables that you mix together with sesame oil and spicy sauce. It was edible, but just had no taste. I think it was called bibibop? Not sure how to spell it, but not my thing. I ate a few bites and called it a day. So when dinner rolled around, I played it safe or safer anyway and went with the rice and beef. Again, far from tasty, but it was edible. I, again, however, didn't each much. Oh well. My Mom had asked before I left what I was going to do to pass the time on the plane. She jokingly said, "watch movies?" knowing full well that I prefer to do other things with my time. Little did she know...each plane had its own screen with options to watch movies, tv, or play games. I did a little of everything. I think I watched three freakin movies. Not my thing, but it helped pass the time. I was doing really well. At one point they came around with hot towels, so I assumed we must be on the final leg--3 hours or so left. I looked at flight plan to find out that I had 7 hours of this hell left. I do mean hell. It was brutal. I couldn't get comfortable, so I moved around again, and again. It eventually came to the end and I had arrived. Yippee!! I was expecting Chris to be waiting by baggage, but no such luck. I exited the baggage area, where I later learned he was not allowed to go. It was so good to see his face. I have missed him. We took a long bus ride and walked foever to our hotel in Seoul where I showered and changed. We walked the streets for a bit and ate some dinner. I had italian of all things. Kind of odd I suppose, but it was good. After a long day, I went to bed. We woke in the middle of the night, so I called my Mom to check on our kiddos. It was very hard leaving. I cry periodically knowing that I am not seeing them or hearing their voices. She assured me all was well and they are doing well. It was good to hear their voices. It has only been one day, but I miss them so much. They truly are my life.
Today we got ready and went downstairs to enjoy the breakfast buffet. Chris and I love food. We love variety and trying new things. This was interesting. I took a picture of my breakfast plate. I'll post it later. THis is far from the typical American breakfast, but we pushed through. We then got a recommendation to go to the Korean Museum of Folk History--or something like that. It was a neat little village complete with a palace. We even went to the Children's museum which wasn't very big, but the kids were fun to watch. Later, we took a taxi to a shopping district, which reminded me of Chinatown in NYC. It was crazy busy and stuff everywhere. I didn't buy a thing, but found a cute little necklace for Claire that I may go back and buy. We also tried to get a new lense for my camera, but couldn't find any great deal. Now we are back at the hotel and going to take a nap.
So far, Seoul is nice. It is not a walking city as it is rather large and everything is far too spread out. I suppose the biggest barrier is the difference in the language. It is challenging to know where to go or what to see. Thankfully, we've run into some people who speak English fairly well and who've been very kind to help us. It is extremely humid here. It definitely reminds me of MA and I HATE it. Yucko!
Guess that is it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds awesome so far.....glad you made it ok. Can't wait to see pictures. Have a wonderful time!!!!
Hugs, Nic
Anonymous said…
Kara,
I hate not talking to you everyday..Your kids might be fine but I clearly need you! Hurry home! Please don't get tempted to move there---I realize this is selfish but I miss ya!

Love ya,
J
Rachel said…
love the description of the flight attendants, must have been a sight to behold!.. There is an award waiting for you on my blog! :)
Alison said…
So happy to see your post, I have been thinking of you...enjoy your trip and time with Chris. Can't wait to hear about it when you get back.
Erin said…
What great pictures - I am like you - I love taking pictures of things unlike home and that remind me of what the people and place was like. That casket was pretty amazing! I really hope you and Chris have a great time together!!
jeannie said…
sounds like you are having some fun, lots of new experiences. I am so glad for you. give Chris a big hug for me. Enjoy yourself and keep posting so we can be there with you.

jeannie

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Claire, Mya and the NEWS

Chris and I had this elaborate plan on how we were going to share the news with our girls. I ordered adorable shirts, which took forever to get here. They were supposed to ship Oct. 4, but didn't. I am not a patient soul at all. I love to share good news and spread the excitement. We went to a German doctor last week for a gender reveal ultrasound. He was 99% certain of his selection. Claire and I began looking at clothes online. She asked questions about why we were looking at baby clothing, but thankfully, my sister has a little guy and a baby girl who is due in December. They are my perfect excuses for all things baby! Claire asked nothing more and began pointing out things we should buy Jackson or the new baby girl. Our weekends typically involve partaking in a local event or just relaxing, which means a trip to the KMCC Mall. Saturday we went shopping or at least looking. Once again, the girls became excited, choosing items for Jackson or the new baby girl. I decided I cou