Skip to main content

18 months






Claire turned 18 months this week. As with most things lately, I can't believe how quickly time passes. It seems like just yesterday we were bringing her home from the hospital. 18 months is far more exciting than that point was. She is definitely a toddler. She LOVES to climb. Claire uses anything and everything (the remote, a doll, a shirt, etc.) to hoist herself onto the coffee table. She stands on her rocking chair to raise herself to the level of the tv. Claire loves to sing. She sings "Rain, Rain Go Away," & "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" independently. When she's playing, I often hear her singing to herself. Claire is basically able to recite her ABC's, although not every letter is intelligible. She counts to 10 with guidance as she loves to throw in the number 9 at various points along the way. Claire loves to watch me cook. She eagerly awaits my direction for her to put in some cheese or other ingredient. Claire is a chatter-box. She is talking in 3 word sentences much of the time & repeats anything and everything. I've been working on teaching her her full name (1st and last names). She occasionally says both, but conistently says "Boynton," which is absolutely adorable. She has pretty great articulation for a child of one year. I guess that is what happens when her Mom is a Speech Pathologist. I wouldn't have it any other way. Chris and I bought a potty training chair quite awhile ago with the thought that she'll be an early learner. However, I must say that while I am not pushing the issue at this point, Claire is sort of taking the lead. She tells us when she has gone "poopy" and we can definitely tell when she is doing "some work." Therefore, I pulled out the potty last weekend. I attempted to put her on it, much to her hesitation. In fact, she cried as if she were going to get swallowed by the hole. I let it go for the rest of the week, but marveled at how she loved to push that thing around or sit on it with her clothes on. Last night she was taking a bath and squatting. I asked her if she had to go poopy and she actually said "yes poopy." Out of the tub she came and at on the big potty with my suppport. She was great. She smiled and held on like a trooper. However, no success on the actual going part, but definite improvement in overcoming a fear. We'll see how this progresses. Claire still uses her pacis, but only at night or while in the car (and not always). I think she is too busy to even think about missing them. Claire loves puzzles (she matches the pictures but needs some help turning the pieces so they fit), books, drawing on her magnadoodle (thanks Grammy and Papa), playing babies, and coloring (thanks Lisa & Phil). She also loves Harvest. Lately, she has been calling him "baby." When they are playing (Harvest doesn't know he is, but he is), Claire puts everything from bibs, blankets, to his rope toys on his back. She is delighted when he keeps them on. I should also mention the body parts that Claire can identify or label--eyes, nose, mouth, teeth, hair, head, tummy, hand, feet, ears, arm, & tongue. She still doesn't care much for tv or videos, but will watch for very brief periods (2 minutes or so). Claire is a big help. She follows directions, can put her clothes on on occasion (pants, hat, jacket, shoes and some shirts), and loves to help me do whatever I'm doing (cleaning, laundry--folding or putting clothes in the machines, painting--hence red paint currently on the woodwork). Claire also loves shoes. She is definitely a girly girl. She is constantly trying on all of my shoes, and when I pick her up from daycare, each day she has someone else's boots or shoes on her feet. Quite a kiddo. One thing we have regressed on is the sleeping in her own bed. Before Chris left, we pulled her back into our bed a few nights and I have found it comforting to keep her there given our current circumstances. She sleeps well and would most likely sleep as well in her own bed, but I can't make the move--YET. I will. My goal is to tackle this little issue during my winter break in February. That will give me one week of dealing with a lack of sleep if that should be the case. Until then, I will savor every moment of keeping this growing baby a little more like my little baby. Soon enough she will be a big sister and things will be very different.

Comments

Erin&Joshua said…
such a big girl claire!
Anonymous said…
Claire looks so old now! Still tryin to figure out when to come and visit.

Love ya,
Jessica

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought