Skip to main content

potty trained in 3 hours?

ummmm...that may be just a bit too much toilet paper. yikes!


how many times did you go potty on the toilet?


someone is full of pride--sporting her big girl undies


the potty training road has been hit or miss---mostly due to my efforts or lack thereof. i bought the potty chair around 18 months because claire was telling me when she was wet. i thought for sure that must be 'the sign" that she was ready for potty training. well, at that point, chris was gone, i was pregnant and quite tired from working full-time and being a single momma. i wasn't consistent and gave up rather easily. she was thrilled with the potty chair, sitting on it while watching tv and using it as a regular chair to eat her snacks. it became a love hate relationship. she became quite opposed to the idea of sitting on it at all. i gave up on the potty training idea, thinking that she just wasn't ready. well, jump ahead 6 months. our friends mark and april were busy working on their little guy, which gave me the boost of motivation i needed to get back on the horse with claire. i had always planned on having both the paci gone and claire potty trained by the time i returned to work, but never thought i'd tackle both of them during my stint as a once again, single momma. thankfully, the timing was right. i had purchased 3 pairs of thick potty training undies back in january, so i whipped them out on wednesday afternoon. claire loved the idea of wearing them, but each time i put her on the potty, 5 minutes after getting off she'd pee. ugh. i was rather frustrated to say the least. this happened three times. i called my mom who reinforced my efforts and pushed me onward. we woke up the next day and i immediately put claire on the toilet (not potty chair--i decided to go all out). she went. i did this for the next 3 hours, putting her on the toilet each hour. she peed each time. it was awesome. of course, i clapped and we called her daddy and my mom who each gave her a party of praise over the phone. the rest is history. from that point on claire has told me she had to go potty and proceeds to the toilet. she likes to be accompanied--i think mostly for the clapping, but is doing incredibly well. in the week since we've begun this adventure, we've gone shopping, to my work, for a ride to the base and back, on a walk, and to the playground. all with no accidents. i am so proud of her. she is doing so well. on a funny note...i had 2 friends asking about claire wanting to be naked to which i replied, oh no never. well.....we had a playgroup at our house this week. low and behold, claire is not only swapping spit and exchanging cookies via her mouth with a one year old boy, but flaunting her stuff after a visit to the bathroom. from that point on, she was a naked little honey. i must say a cute one, but naked. that evening, we ran outside to water my plants when she decided to get into the pool. all was fine. her dress got wet, so she started to take it off. i said fine, but leave your undies on. well, she got them wet too and the next thing i knew she was naked again. this time standing in our driveway watching our neighbor "cutting the grasses" (as claire would say). what an adventure each day holds! She is such a cute little girl with quite the mind. i can't wait to see what the future holds.

Comments

Anonymous said…
thats hilarious! We enjoy reading your daily news..keep it up..wedding planning sucks and I need some comic relief!

Love ya,
Jessica

PS so no decisions just in case your wondering!
April said…
Yeaaaayy!! Potty trained and no paci!! What a big girl! Hopefully she can teach Rory a thing or two in October. Can't wait to see you guys!
Erin said…
wedding planning doesn't suck Jess - you need to come live out here in great New England and we can help you!

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought