Skip to main content

travel day wrap-up

so picture this---daddy hasn't seen his wife and kids for four months, waits patiently as the doors open outside of customs and out runs his family into the warm hands of his open embrace. okay, now get that idealistic mess out of your head, afterall, we are a dark cloud kind of family. everything that can go wrong, generally does. well, maybe not EVERYTHING. anyhow, after an exhausting adventure with our mass amounts of luggage in boston, we whizzed right through check in and security. we were off. the flights were awesome. the girls did so well. i didn't even need to pull out entertainment for the 12 hour leg, which was so good. i needed some sleep. there was a major storm (typhoon) that hit the area around the base. they lost power and had some damage. chris didn't end up getting to the airport until after 6:30. my flight landed at 5:20 and i hadn't even talked with him to confirm anything since he expressed his doubts about us arriving today. needless to say, i was a bit stressed and anxious trying to figure out a plan while dragging along my cart with 6 suitcases and 2 carseats and stroller toting two children. it was a sight. i was a sweaty mess. anyway, i had just purchased a bus ticket to the base when i heard my name on the loudspeaker. i was on my way in that direction when i spotted chris. later i found out that chris hadn't paged me, but instead, in the midst of all my jostling, i had managed to forget the pack and play at the baggage claim. ( i knew things were going way too well the past 2 days). anyway, we'll have to venture back adn figure out how to retrieve that. otherwise, the girls are well rested (of course according to us time zone standards--here it is 2:00 and they are raring to go), i am tired and chris has no food, sheets for the extra bed or water/diet coke to drink. i think it is going to be a very loooonnnnggg night.

i am planning on going to the school to do some paperwork for hiring and maybe work in my classroom a bit. we'll see as i'll have our two kiddos with me. i am excited for the year to begin. i did meet a really nice couple from massachusetts while waiting for our flight to korea, but stupidly didn't get their number. hopefully we'll run into each other again. they have kiddos around the same age as ours. i guess there is hope for some friendships here. better get my miss social hat on ;)

Comments

Amber said…
You are brave! I hope you find that' Mass family, I wish I had some MA friends here. There is nothing like the sound of a dropped R to make it feel like home.
jeannie said…
I am so glad you finally made it there. I am glad the trip went well, and I am glad your family is finally back together.
Good Luck in your new life, I hope you both find joy. I know you will learn many new things.

write when you get a chance, I will send a note to Chris.

love you guys!!!!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for calling today. It made my day to hear your voice. Glad all is well. Hugs to Claire and Mya.
Love,
Lisa
Erin said…
so happy to hear that you are 'home'!!!! I cant believe what amazing little travellers the girls are or that you were able to remember everything but the pack n' play! GO KARA!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought