Skip to main content

And the success continues...

It's no secret that this blog is our record of life events and the love we share. I keep no diary, so this is it. I hope our kids will look back someday and read about all the amazing things they experienced, adventures we shared and the immeasurable amount of pride, we as they parents, feel on a daily basis. So, without further ado, is my pride filled post about Claire's reading success.

She entered kindergarten on level A, which is knowing all letters, sounds they make and beginning to put words together. She is a stubborn little child. When Chris and I would work with her, she'd get frustrated and give up. We didn't push the issue, knowing that she'd get it when she was ready. Get it, she did. She moved up through the ranks until she was at a level D around Thanksgiving (1st grade level). I raised question to this as I felt this was a lower estimate of her skills. I was suspecting maybe a level E. I am not a reading teacher, but have a general understanding of the curriculum and know quite a bit about the skill sequence. Anyway, the school has an online program for parents to help support at home. Claire loves to work on the computer before or after school while I am getting ready for the day. She whizzed right through her level D stories, reading with perfection 1 time through, which is what caused me slight concern. I want her to feel the success, but also experience a slight challenge so her skills consistently improve. Her teacher assured me she was at a level D. Sure. Not two weeks later, I got an email from her teacher stating that Claire was now at a level F. Hmmm. 2 levels in less than 2 weeks. Not to pat my own back, but I think I was pretty much spot on. Here we are in January and Claire was tested again. Guess where she is???? LEVEL I! Level I, my dear friends is a 2nd Grade reading level!

We don't push her at home. She does no "homework." It is all self directed. If she wants to read to us, we let her. She and Mya read in their beds 20 minutes or so before bed. Chris and I lay in our beds, listening to the words from each page roll off her tongue and Mya's attempt to tell her own story.

Claire has a strong desire to read chapter books. Jessica and Nate bought her 3 big books filled with multiple stories. She's whipped right through the two of them and has now developed a love for "The Magic Treehouse" books. I am simply proud that she has developed the love for reading and pushed through her frustration with hard work to become a fabulous reader.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wahoo! Claire, we are so proud of you! Such a smartie pants! Jackson is eager for you to read to him! Love you all! What an accomplishment!


Love ya, J

Popular posts from this blog

Sweetness Overload

So, we are still roughing it in our amazingly, wonderfully fabulous, new house. That means, air mattresses in our living room. Fun. The girls love it, Chris and I not so much ;) Anyway, the close proximity means Chris and I get to eavesdrop on some very tender moments. They seriously bring tears to my eyes. How did we get so lucky to have them as our children??? Here's one example. Claire--"Mya, can we snuggle?" Mya--"sure." Claire--"don't let go." Mya--"No, I'll just wait until you are sleeping." Claire--"No, you wait until the middle of the night." Mya--"Okay, I'll wait until the middle of the night." Then we hear lips smacking. So cute. I won't share the meltdown that occured moments before this sweetness ;) Life isn't always rosey, now is it? Ha! In other news..we get internet today and our furniture/things tomorrow! That means 1 more night of "roughing it!" Yippee!

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really ...