Skip to main content

BPA-free dining

Ok, so I was walking by the photo copier at work when a friend caught me and asked me if I had read the articles on plastic. Who was she kidding? I had been and still am in a post-baby fog. I am lucky if I can remember to put my socks on before my shoes! She gave me the 411. Evidently, there has been a long-term discussion on the effects of the chemicals in plastics on our health. Plastics leak chemicals over time called BPA. This process is quickened by microwaving, washing and other forms of heat, as well as time. These chemicals have been linked to cancers, reproductive problems, mental retardation, hyperactivity, early puberty, etc. There is no doubt that these issues are apparent and much more apparent than years before, but WHY?? I know you can't believe all your told and you'll never be able to protect yourself or your family from all danger, but I work with these kids--hyperactive, mentally retarded---and when you do so for 8 hours a day, five days a week, you realize how precious it is to be average and "typical." I have done the reading, and although I didn't want to become this type of mother, I am choosing to err on the side of caution, once again. We have made the bottle switch. Claire will no longer be ingesting BPA with her milk. Chris and I will not be heating tupperware in the microwave, even though it is such an inconvenience (and let me tell you we are ALL about convenience). Perhaps research will prove this to be a fad in the future. I certainly hope so, but until then, we will be enjoying BPA-free dining.
Check out an article for yourself: http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20030331/danger-in-plastic-baby-bottles or watch a quick news clip: http://video.wnbc.com/player/?id=0

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good for you. I've ordered BPA free bottles for the baby on the way and am avoiding heating in plastic as well. Can't hurt.
Anonymous said…
Just so you know...Web MD is not considered a credible source of medical information. We as future NPs were told this months and months ago. Don't believe everything you read!! I am sounding like Mom now. Needless to say, I used those bottles. My children are fine. Seems like a waste of money to me. Lisa
Erin&Joshua said…
Oh gosh . . . you and Josh both! He refuses to permit me to microwave tupperware although we still use it for food storage. But I have to agree with Lisa, don't ever quote WebMD again! :) Hope to see you guys again really soon!
Anonymous said…
OH MY WORD. For a second I thought I was reading an info commercial...WOW, you are freakin me out!

Jessica
Anonymous said…
Ok, just for the record, I am not turning into a neurotic mother. Instead I am simply being cautious. Although WebMD may not have been the most credible source, I was simply siting it as it was one of the easiest and quickest articles to read. It was for your benefit not that I intended to underestimate your intelligence....
Kara said…
Just to clarify, I meant citing, not siting. Jessica and Chris, you are officially on the hit list. Beware, you spelling losers!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the heads-up! Heather and I had been talking about this before ours was born. We asked our Doc and was told the easiest way to stay safe is to stay away from the microwave.

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???