Skip to main content

I Love Guam! Part 1

Mya loved wearing Claire's backpack. She will be getting her own soon!

Mya cuteness.


The view from our hotel.

Another picture from our balcony.  Can you say gorgeousness? Blue water heaven.

Mya and Daddy checking out the view.


All over Korea, they have these tiny little potties. I have been meaning to take a picture for sometime, so seized the opportunity at the airport. Aren't they so cute? Claire gets so excited when she spots a "little potty."
 Our trip to Guam began on a not-so-good, but comical note. I've said it before, but my words don't appropriately convey the level of idolization our kiddos experience in and around Korea. They are literally picked up, touched, waved to, hugged by strangers on a daily basis. It is crazy. Mya is truly a product of this environment and loves each and every bit of contact. She is now to the point in which a stranger simply needs to extend a hand and she'll go running to give a shake or a "high 5." Talk about a double-edged sword. She obviously is too young to learn about strangers, but with human trafficing and all the information we are warned of, her level of outgoingness makes Chris and I stand on edge, ready to leap at a moments notice. Claire, on the other hand, is a bit more stand-offish. She will wave, hold hands with children and let people reach out to her when we are near, but is much more apprehensive. Claire is getting to the point now where she will initiate contact/interaction with other children, which we are thrilled to see. She used to be happy as a clam playing by herself and wouldn't show a whole lot of interest in other kids. She'd play along side them, but never really interacted. I am excited about this next stage. The only issue that I  can forsee is the language barrier. She, for example, was called a "big child," at the playground yesterday. The Korean children asked her her age and when she responded with 3, that was what they told her. She was rather offended, but I am guessing their limited English was to blame for the word choice. It was funny. to observe. Back to Guam and off my tangential post...at the airport, Mya was making friends and befriended an older Korean man who was there with his grandchildren. He was actually sitting along the moving sidewalk and Mya plopped herself down next to him just a foot or two away. He handed his grandchildren a wrapped Korean cookie and offered one to Mya as well. She happily took it, said thanks and ran over to Chris and I to open it. She ate the entire thing, which looked similar to a maple syrup candy you'd get in Vermont, but bigger. Well, on the plane, she slept, but when she awoke, she threw up all over Chris. It was nasty, but so funny (now I can say that as I am beyond stripping her down, rescuing her and trying to escape the smell that wouldn't quite go away despite the flight attendant's attempt with Lysol). Our kids have flown numerous times and never gotten sick, so I am certain the Korean cookie was to blame. Perhaps it was our lesson not to accept treats from strangers ;) The nastiness of that experience quickly left our minds as the warm Guam air greeted us upon exiting the plane. It was LOVELY!

Comments

April said…
Beautiful view!! Glad you had an awesome spring break! :D

Popular posts from this blog

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really

2 weeks...

As I write this, my house is being cleaned and not by me. This is my favorite day of the week. There is nothing like going home to a clean house and smelling the bleach to know it is germ free as well. This is my second good day in a row! I took the day off yesterday. Claire didn't have school due to Fasching (German equivalent of Halloween--minus the door to door trick or treating), so I gave Mya the option of hanging out with us as well. She took some convincing, but later said she had a great day. I must admit that I was focused on giving my back a much needed break, so my morning consisted of napping and laying on the couch. Not my best parenting in action, but it did wonders for the rest of the day. We met Chris for lunch, then returned home to enjoy the sunshine before the girls' swimming lessons. It was in the 50's yesterday, absolutely gorgeous! It really is hard to believe that we made it through the entire winter with no snow. I think it snowed possibly 2 days, b

4 months

We are potentially down to our last four months in Korea. I say "potentially" because it rests solely on where we are going. If we are heading back to the States, we will most likely be leaving early June so that we can enjoy a full summer with family and have time to get settled before Claire begins school. We caught wind today of what could be our next assignment. Although it is far from official word, all of a sudden my tummy is filled with butterflies. I had the privilege of teaching a little first grade girl who was one of a set of quadruplets. They (she and her sisters) are the most delightful little girls. They are well behaved and truly beautiful inside and out. Anyway, their family was due to PCS (military move) in December. I teased her that I was going to follow her and live down the road. While they were house hunting, I continually asked if there was a neighboring house for me. She'd laugh and giggle, not really sure if I was serious or not. Her Mom thought