Skip to main content

So long, farewell...

Hopefully I am not jinxing anything, but Claire has officially stopped stuttering. It truly was an overnight change. Tuesday night it was gone and hasn't been back. Just for documentation purposes and because it is my profession, I need to describe her disfluencies. You can stop reading if you'd like as it will most likely bore you to death...
-part word, whole word repetitions with sound prolongations in later weeks
-mostly occuring on words with "w" or "m"--bilabial sounds
-got significantly worse before better--sometimes repeating a sound 15 times
-began to modify her own speech by exaggerating it..accompanied by moving her jaw up and looking upwards too.
-no secondaries
-more severe when tired
-never seemed aware of her disfluencies
-lasted for about 6 weeks
Glad it is gone!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I hardly noticed..poor kid having a speech path as a mom...

Love ya,
J
Kara said…
probably true, jess. a normal parent most likely wouldn't have been freaking out inside like i was, but i guess i also know first hand the multiple layers involved in stuttering. it ain't pretty nor easy to "fix." thank goodness it was all in the realm of normal child development.
Anonymous said…
stuttering or not she is freakin cute and I would have taken her...I love that kid...and Mya is pretty sweet too now that she has her crying issues resolved!

Love ya,
J
Anonymous said…
Amiable post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Popular posts from this blog

Sweetness Overload

So, we are still roughing it in our amazingly, wonderfully fabulous, new house. That means, air mattresses in our living room. Fun. The girls love it, Chris and I not so much ;) Anyway, the close proximity means Chris and I get to eavesdrop on some very tender moments. They seriously bring tears to my eyes. How did we get so lucky to have them as our children??? Here's one example. Claire--"Mya, can we snuggle?" Mya--"sure." Claire--"don't let go." Mya--"No, I'll just wait until you are sleeping." Claire--"No, you wait until the middle of the night." Mya--"Okay, I'll wait until the middle of the night." Then we hear lips smacking. So cute. I won't share the meltdown that occured moments before this sweetness ;) Life isn't always rosey, now is it? Ha! In other news..we get internet today and our furniture/things tomorrow! That means 1 more night of "roughing it!" Yippee!

Progress

I used to be prompt about scrapbooking in Claire's album. After seeing my sister's pictures piled up three children later, I was determined not to have the same fate. I am sure it is difficult for some of you to believe, but since Claire has been born, my free time has been limited. Really, it has. So, our pictures are finding their way into piles too--5 to be exact. However, I am thrilled to say that I finished (ok, they aren't completely finished, but nearly. I only have journaling to do.) six pages. Yes, that's right, I said SIX!! It was a major accomplishment. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Only 5 more months left to get through....any volunteers? Jessica???

A post

You wanted it, you asked for it, so here it is. A post. Hopefully this post will satisfy all your desires. I am not writing about the apple of my eye, Claire, but of the other apple of my eye--reality tv. I love it! Right now I am getting my fill of Big Brother. I have even lured Chris into my dark place. He mostly watched last season because Dick was such a jerk, but Chris is hooked. He's a dedicated viewer once again this season. Sadly, he was a fan of Matty who was kicked off a few weeks ago. I don't think I have a favorite. I find them all to be so obnoxious, yet I watch. Go figure. I obviously need some more excitement in my life. Girls who wear butt showing shorts, screaming matches, verbal abuse, crazy eyes, back stabbing, boys running around in their colored tighty whiteys (if tighty whiteys are colored, are they still called tighty whiteys?)---all in one episode! It is a gold mine. My second can't miss show is Housewives of Orange County or New York City. I really ...